Complaint Review: EGrabber

• Submitted: Mon, July 27, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, December 07, 2009

• Reported By:Athens Georgia
1340 S. De Anza Blvd., Suite #106 San Jose,, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 408-872-3100
  • Web:
  • Category: Software

EGrabber cancels activation code so you will have to upgrade San Jose California

*Consumer Comment: Horrible Customer service --- Used car Dealers

*Consumer Suggestion: eGrabber can and will reset your key if you make a stink

I purchased software from eGrabber in 2004. The price was around $200. I have used it ever since and always avoiding upgrading because it did the job I wanted. My system crashed and I had to move to another computer. I re-installed the software and my activation key. I got a notice that the key was being used by another machine. (Yes, which was dead). I contacted eGrabber and they told me they would not issue activation because they did not support that software version any more.

What a rip off. I have never heard of a company doing that. They tried to give me a "deal" by offering to charge me $140 for the new software upgrade. They are a bunch of crooks as far as I'm concerned.

How many software companies refused to honor activation codes?

Athens, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2009 11:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/EGrabber/San-Jose-California-95129/EGrabber-cancels-activation-code-so-you-will-have-to-upgrade-San-Jose-California-473758. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on EGrabber

Horrible Customer service --- Used car Dealers

AUTHOR: Atlantaeditor - (U.S.A.)

Middle Eastern/India based company who lies about where they are located.  Go to the San Jose office --- !

I experienced the same exact situation.  I have the 4.5 version.  Thank goodness I burned it on a CD.  My computer crashed and I had to restore it. I looked for the download link and they removed it from their site.  They said THEY no longer have the earlier version for me to redownload.  I would have to purchase and upgrade for approx. $150.  I purchased "add-ons" which their software should have worked on GOOGLE and citysearch but I had to pay $200 for the add-ons.  Then I added on more.  So now after i have almost $600 invested they have the nerve to try to force the upgrade because they claim they no longer have the 4.5 download.  OK??? Not to forget to mention the $25 fee everytime you have to reactivate the key because you reformatted your hard drive.

Crappy support -- who does this????

#2 Consumer Suggestion

eGrabber can and will reset your key if you make a stink

AUTHOR: Kenn - (USA)

I have had this exact same problem with eGrabber. I am a registered user of ListGrabber Standard 2008.

When I called them, I needed to re-obtain my license key as well as a download link for the old version of the software.

At first I was told that:

1.The key was registered to my old hard drive and, if I could not unregister it, I would have to buy the newest version of the software.

2. They could not generate a new license key for the old version because they only have a key generator for the latest version.

3. They could not "reset" my license key registration for me.

4. They do not provide support for the old version.

I got progressively more upset with the support person on the phone until he finally offered to speak with his manager. When he came back on the line, he told me that "admin" would reset my key.  He also gave me my key over the phone and said he would email a download link, and that it would take about an hour for it to work.

In short, eGrabber is doing everything possible to get you to buy an upgrade. I assume this works with most people, despite it being unethical.  However, if you complain strenuously enough, they can and will reset your license key.