- Report: #562178
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: EMUSIC.COM
EMUSIC.COMNationwide United States of America
EMUSIC.COM MP3 music downloads Nationwide
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
Basically I was looking to download free music and I came across this website (www.emusic.com) that looks very professional (looks can be deceiving).
It allowed 25 free downloads but in order to get your music, you need to register with them. So I did.
While in the process of registeration, you need to give your credit card in order to complete the process. The website promised that they will not use the credit card without your permission and it is just part of the process and I can cancel my registration any point in time. So unknowingly I gave my credit card since I believed in the assurance that I was in control and can cancel my registration anytime and I did intend to when I've completed my free 25 music quota downloads.
However, what happened was as time went by I downloaded 9 music. Then after a couple of weeks ago while I was looking through my credit card statement, I found that my credit card was billed GBP24.99 from the website company! I was shocked to say the least! I've not heard anything from the company about billing me the amount as they assured that they will not use my credit card without permission and most of all the fact that the music is suppose to be free! So I researched and I found out that there was a very small clause regarding the free downloads - the free downloads is only for 7 days regardless if you donwload less than your 25 free music quota, after which they will charge. Now, had I known that, I would have quickly download all 25 free music downloads within the 7 days BUT because the clause about the 7 days was not made clear I was scammed into a false sense of security that they will not charge me unless I go over the free 25 music quota! So there - they have pull a wool over my eyes and they will not refund me the money because I have ticked the agreement section when I registered! I've also since found out that there were numerous complaints of this scam on the website when I googled the company. I wish I had googled them first before I registered with them - what a mistake!
So in short the lesson is:
1) IF THE PRODUCT OR SERVICE IS FREE, THEY SHOULD NEVER ASK FOR YOUR CREDIT CARD. Please don't give your credit card in any situation to a merchant that you do not know - especially if the item or service is free. Ask yourself, if it is free then you don't need to give your credit card details as by doing so, they have the power to charge you anytime, anywhwere!
2) RESEARCH THE COMPANY FIRST BEFORE DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM. The Google is a great place to pull information out about the merchant and their reputation. By doing so, you will safe yourself a lot of problems and heartache. Always do your background research on the merchant if you want to buy items from them. If i had done that in the first place, I would not have fall for their free 25 music dowmloads!
Since I have no recourse of getting my money back from the website company what I've done is to go through my Bank of which the credit card was used and dispute the amount billed since there is a recourse via that avenue. It's a good thing to purchase via your credit card as any billed amount that is originating from scams or fraud can be claimed back from the credit card bank/company - but you must do all the legwork of course, such as filling in the required forms from the credit card bank/company, get your evidence or case against the fraudster/scammers through print, in my case I printed out the complaints and reports from other people on the website about them. Also, I highlighted the fact that the amount of 24.99 was never mentioned in any of the registration process - I did this via the email I got after I registered with them. So hopefully that will help my case in disputing the amount.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2010 05:43 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/EMUSICCOM/nationwide/EMUSICCOM-MP3-music-downloads-Nationwide-562178. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.