milk

• Reported By: Mark — Woodbury Minnesota United States of America
ESS Data Recovery

ESS Data Recovery Tried to Charge $765 for a $80 fix, Internet

*General Comment: don't use them

My external hard drive would not respond when I tried to access it.  I called the manufacturer and because it was out of warranty they told me my best bet was take it to a data recovery service locally and they had a list of companies they partnered with.  I went too ESS because they were close ad were listed on the manufactures partner list.  I was told by ESS that the board was bad AND the drive was bad.  I received an email telling me that the cost was $850 and that they would give me a 10% discount to $765.  We decided that was more than we could spend and would have to save up so that eventually we could get our photos and other important information back sometime.

I decided to stop at another place (((competitor's name redacted))) on my way home even though they weren't a partner with the drive Manufacturer.  I went in and they took the casing off my drive and it took them a minute to get it open because 2 of the srews were beneath a sticker on the casing.  ESS had obviously never even removed the drive from its casing!  After taking it apart the guy at (((redacted))) determined that rather than having 3 failed drive heads as I was told by ESS, only the board was bad.  I left in 25 minutes with all of my data on a new drive for only $80.64.  I've never felt s taken advantage of in my life.  Either ESS does not know what they are doing or they are dishonest.  I don't know which it is but I hope no one has to pay what almost had to for no reason.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/05/2010 01:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ESS-Data-Recovery/internet/ESS-Data-Recovery-Tried-to-Charge-765-for-a-80-fix-Internet-610696. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ESS Data Recovery

#1 General Comment

don't use them

AUTHOR: HureKLi - (United States of America)

I've had similar experience with this company, go elsewhere