Complaint Review: ETS Testing Centers

• Updated: Tue, September 11, 2012

• Reported By: Jeana — Addison Texas United States of America
ETS Testing Centers

ETS Testing Centers Unfair testing practices, poor customer service. Internet

On July 7th, 2012, I took the Spanish Lote 613 exam in one of the ETS testing centers and received my score on August 6th, 2012 after paying the $120 testing fees. ETS gave me a failing score of 235.

At first, I accepted the fact that I was given a failing grade and assumed that I needed to study more on the Pedagogy part, although I really did very well on the Spanish part.  When I recently looked at the 6 different domains that make up the Spanish Lote 613 test, I realized that I need to study everything but the Spanish language;  Domain 1 Pedagogy and Domain VI, the part about the instructional practices.

Later, I realized that I had been given a score of 6 out of 6 for in the Domain V for my Spanish in the Opinion/Essay part while I was given a 0 out of 6 in the Essay part in Domain V1, which asks you to write in the English language!  I would like to remind you that this is a Content Exam for the Spanish language.  How is it possible that I was given a 0 out of 6 for my Essay in English, while I was given a 6 out of 6 for my Spanish in the Essay part?  I definitely finished the essay in the English language.  English is my first language and I did make an A on my college thesis, so I suppose I can write an essay in the English language.

Immediately, I called the Customer Service phone line for ETS.  The person I spoke to had no idea what the Spanish Lote 613 test consisted of and could only confirm that it sounded logical what I was arguing, but I would have to pay$70 and make the complaint via online.  I called back a second time and asked to speak with a manager of the testing verification and was not given information about that, rather an email that goes to nobody with a name and this person with no name on the return emails has answered me back three times during three different days that my email was forwarded to another department.

My argument is logical and nobody from ETS can answer me without me paying $70.  I cannot know the name of any manager there and nobody from ETS can give me any information other than what you see on the webpage.

The ETS has not been fair to me and the customer service is ridiculous, but hey I guess they have it pretty much made for business since it is necessary to pass their tests in order to be certified for teaching.  It is also ridiculous that over 35% of this exam is about pedagogy when it is a content exam about the Spanish language.  Later, you have to study Pedagogy and teaching skills in a course that does not go lower than $4,200 to complete the teaching certificate requirements! Does anybody have any suggestions, information, etc. about who else I can complain to without paying their $70 verification fee?  As far as I am concerned, I passed that exam since I should have gotten at least 5 points on my essay in the English language.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2012 04:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ETS-Testing-Centers/internet/ETS-Testing-Centers-Unfair-testing-practices-poor-customer-service-Internet-939775. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ETS Testing Centers