Complaint Review: Earthlink internet provider

• Updated: Tue, September 18, 2012

• Reported By: Deana — Los Angeles, Ca United States of America
Earthlink internet provider

Earthlink internet provider Lies to Customers about pricing Internet

I have been a customer of Earthlink for about three years.  When I got it, I was told that there was a trial period when I would be charged $14.00 per month, then after 3 months, the price would go up to 21.00 per month.  Fine.  What they did not tell me was that the 21.00  per month was also a limited time, and that it went up again. to, I think, 24.00 per month.

Then, after a very long time, I noticed that I was being charged over thirty dollars a month.  I asked them why, and they said it was because I had ordere Norton Commander over a year ago.  Plus I had ordered "fine tune".  I was told that "fine tune" was free.  And I absolutely did not order Norton Commander.  I had heard too many bad things about it.

I had been talking to tech support, and the guy asked me if I wanted Norton Commander, and I said NO.  The guy said "I'll send it to you and you can just try it out for free" and I still said NO.  Well, about a week later, a disc comes in the mail but I never loaded it in.

Well, when I found out I was being charged over 30 dollars per month for way over a year, I asked them why, and they said I had ordered "fine tune" and Norton Commander.  I told them I did not order Norton Commander and did not even have it, and "fine tune" was supposed to be free.

They said they would give me a refund, but only for the last two months!!!  The get to keep all the money they overcharged me!!

Then when I had the service turned off, I found that they had charged me 4.95 for my primary email address.  I told them that it was supposed to be free, and they said "it is free, but when you turn our service off, we charge you 4.95 for it"!!

I called Consumer Affairs and was told that there is no governing body over internet providers.  So the only thing you can do is sue them.  I wish someone would do a class action suit to make these services be honest with the customers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/18/2012 02:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Earthlink-internet-provider/internet/Earthlink-internet-provider-Lies-to-Customers-about-pricing-Internet-943111. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Earthlink internet provider