The Earthlink telemarketer made the company look like the best thing since the internet. I was promised the first two months for free, after that it would be $49.99 a month which would include DSL and complete phone service (a land line - not through the internet), with call waiting, caller ID, call waiting ID, three way calling, etc. I was asked if I had a DSL modem, in which I replied that I did have one and that I could use mine. The telemarketer told me that I would be called if I needed a different one. I was also told that I had thirty days to cancel the service if I decided to and that I would not be billed anything.
Three days later I received a modem without notice and a week later I noticed a charge for it on my charge card. When I called to ask about it, I was informed that the price for the modem was credited to my account and that it was free, but the shipping was $29.99, for which I could not receive credit. Over the next few weeks I decided to try it out and see if it was worth the trouble.
I spent at least forty hours on the phone working with Earthlink service techs trying to figure out how to install their software. One service tech actually hung up on me.
Before the first thirty days were up, I received a bill for the first month. I called customer service and discovered that the telemarketer did not correctly represent the company's package deal. It turned out to be $64.99 and the first two months were not free. That was the last straw, I cancelled my service. They continued to charge me. I called back and they credited my account. They still continued to charge my account.
I cancelled my charge account and disputed the bills through them. They sent me a bill today for canceling my service agreement, $179. I called them again to settle the issue. I requested to speak with an American customer service office and I was told that they no longer had one. I explained the situation and notified the rep that I would be in contact with the States Attorney General. They were as helpful as ever.