Complaint Review: Earthlink

• Submitted: Mon, January 24, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, January 24, 2005

• Reported By:Lakewood Ohio
P.O. Box 530530 Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Earthlink.net Fraudulant Ripoff Charge Set-up New Contract with out my knowledge Bogus Early Termination Fee Atlanta Georgia

I have been with Earthlink DSL for over 3 years. I completed my 1-year contract as agreed and kept their service even when I moved to a new location. (Moving was a nightmare as they couldn't seem to figure out how to get my service back on). Now, after 3+ years, I want to switch to cable Internet through our cable service provider--who is, not only faster, but $12/month cheaper.

Unbeknownst to me, Earthlink took it upon themselves, WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE ON MY PART, to put me under a new 1-year contract when I moved in March of 2004. So, now that I want to leave (Jan, 2005), they are trying to tell me that I owe them $149.00 for "breach of contract." What contract? The one I never signed or agreed to? They tell me I can either keep their service until it's been a year (cost of $107) or pay the $149. The "manager" I spoke to at Customer Service/Billing basically threatened me and said If I don't pay one or the other, they will put my account in collections!! This makes no sense! I have been a loyal customer for years and even brought them new customers. I completed my contract and MORE than paid for the so-called "free" modem and other incentive (digital camera) they sent! Isn't a contract to help cover the costs of all the "free" junk? My modem and cheapo camera have been paid for many times over!

When I spoke with a manager, he told me he isn't "able" to waive the fee. So I asked for HIS boss, and was told she "leaves at 2:00 pm" and wasn't there. (Riiiiight) I got her name and now get to play phone tag with her. I was warned that she wouldn't be able to waive the fee either. The so-called manager advised me to pay the fee or keep the service and then dispute it with their corporate office. (Like I really want to give them my money and then beg to get it back).

I would like to explore all of my legal options on this one.

Lakewood, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2005 06:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Earthlink/Atlanta-Georgia-30353-0530/Earthlinknet-Fraudulant-Ripoff-Charge-Set-up-New-Contract-with-out-my-knowledge-Bogus-Ear-128726. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Earthlink