Complaint Review: East Coast Starz

• Submitted: Mon, March 04, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, May 07, 2014

• Reported By: NYmom — NY New York United States of America
East Coast Starz
East Coast Starz 473 Contender Drive Clayton, North Carolina United States of America

East Coast Starz Stacie Weil-Fitzgerald ,Lauren Handler A road show ripoff Clayton, North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: It is so true

*General Comment: Starz is a Wonderful Event!

*Consumer Comment: East Coast Starz is not a scam

*Consumer Comment: Disagree with this report

*General Comment: East Coast Starz

*General Comment: Not true

*Consumer Comment: Do not agree

So you want your child to have a shot at modeling and you find a fashion road show claiming to make all your dreams come true. Let me tell you what is true! This fashion road show is nothing more than a ripoff they lie about having connections to the modeling industry yet all you get is a cheap crown for your child. I spent hundreds of dollars and so have a lot of my friends and nothing comes out of it. Starz is just putting on a big party show, which is fine however taking peoples hard earned money then promising them a dream they can not for-fill is just wrong.  The fees they charge are outrageous!.  I felt the need to warn the public of their scam.

They have now added to this road show a boutique called stargazer, which is extremely overpriced. The worse part is that they invite you to a stargazer show for free as they say but then expect you to buy a $350 dress for your child.  This company needs to stop selling a dream that they know they cannot make come true to all those participants. So many have left, never to return, disgusted in how they run this big road show scam. The only way to get your child into modeling is to do it yourself or through a great agent none of which they have the ability to provide through their road show.  Stacie pushes the claim that she has pull in the industry when she is nothing more than a mother of children who model as well. Stacie uses her children to sell you a dream!

She speaks of go-see's which anyone can attend for free, she speaks of children that went to her show and show up on a segment of Good Morning America, however she leaves out the part that anyone can stand outside the glass and if you wait long enough you too can be seen on TV.  Starz cannot get you into modeling; they cannot book you for the GAP, H&M or any other company! You as a parent have to do it all. It takes time and persistence, save your hard earned money you'll need it for expenses. They need to stop lying to participants and ripping them off by getting them to come to the shows with a vision in their heads of big time bookings and  scouting from agents that do not exist.

if you want a chance at modeling DO NOT go or support STARZ, this road show will do nothing but take your money. Go to reputable agencies that can provide you with guidance and don't take a dime until you actually get booked.

Real agencies do not tell you to gaze at stars they make you one! They do not put on roadshows and sell you a dream.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/04/2013 09:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/East-Coast-Starz/Clayton-North-Carolina-/East-Coast-Starz-Stacie-Weil-Fitzgerald-Lauren-Handler-A-road-show-ripoff-Clayton-Nort-1023169. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on East Coast Starz

It is so true

AUTHOR: Model4girls - ()

It is true, I just found this by accident and gosh this report hit the nail on the head. That road show is a rip off, all you do is spend and spend. My child never got a dam thing out of it.  Starz is in no way any help to any potential model.  If you want to model do go there. Stacy is a fast talker who wants to be 16 again and its sad that she is the way she is. Lauren is the shy and behind the scenes person with the money, all of your money.  its nothing more than a glorified Pageant.  Yes the girls look good but for the price its better that you book a weekend stay on your own with a group of your friends, you'll have a better time and not feel robbed. Complete waste of time, Go search for your own reputable scouts starz can not do anything for you

#2 General Comment

Starz is a Wonderful Event!

AUTHOR: Toddler Loves Starz - ()

My daughter has competed in Starz and will compete in future Starz events.  Nowhere does Starz claim to be a modeling agency.  It is a runway competition where the kids can go, have fun, and make new friends.  Yes, there are agencies that attend. Each contestant has the opportunity to meet with the agency for the possibilities of having representation. And yes, children can be scouted there. However, it isn't promised that EVERY child will! Stacie and Lauren really put a lot into each show and make the girls all feel like models, no matter if they are 1 or 16! They make sure each child goes home with a crown and a swag bag.  Nobody leaves that stage empty handed, which is great, especially for the little ones because they all receive a crown.  It is not a rip off. Sounds to me that the person who originated this post is just an uphappy mother or father whose child did not win.  Not everyone can win the Starz title.  It depends on how well the girl does in all of the areas of competition.  My child didn't win the first time, did that discourage us and have me sit down and write a Rip Off Report? No! I registered her for the next event, and now for the event coming up again in May.  Also, Star Gazer isn't what this person puts it out to be.  You pay your deposit, receive a gift card that can be redeemed for your outfit.  If the outfit is only $100, that is all you will spend.  Nobody needs to spend $350, unless you personally want to.  Instead of trying to give Starz a bad name, maybe try to learn to be a team player and be happy for the other contestants!

East Coast Starz is not a scam

AUTHOR: Susan - ()

I am a mom of a teen who competed in this competition two times.  The first time she did not win or place, but we loved the way this show was run, and how it was different than other pageants.  We went back a second time, not expecting much, and we did win.  The win was just an extra plus.  This show has to be one of the most exciting shows we have ever experienced.  My daughter did many glitz pageants when she was younger and many of them called themselves "model search pageants, etc.... it never went further than that though.  This competition does offer real opportunities.  My daughter  did book 2 modeling jobs and one was a paid runway show in NYC.    I really loved the fact that East Coast Starz offers interview because that is something that all kids need to learn in real life.  You will also leave the competition with wonderful photos for your portfolio.    Both of us actually preferred this competition over other pageants we have done.  The directors, Lauren Handler and Stacie Fitzgerald work hard to make each show even better than the last one.  I am glad that we found  Starz and kind of sad that my teen has aged out, and will no longer be able to compete anymore.  This is one show that any person involved in pageants should definitely try.

Disagree with this report

AUTHOR: Pageant Mom - ()

I took my daughter to Starz 4 and it was amazing. We were not promised anything. While my daughter did not win or got scouted, she had an amazing time. They do not promise that the children will "make it" in the industry or that they will get scouted. It is definitely a possibility, but doesn't happen for everyone.

I know for a fact how hard the ladies (Stacie Fitzgerald and Lauren Handler) work for the kids. I see their constant efforts on Facebook and at their events.

I can't wait to take my daughter to a Star Gazer event. Yes, you do have to purchase an outfit, but there are different prices. Then you get to model, get pictures, keep the outfit and great memories.

Too bad people misunderstand or do not read all the details. Starz rocks!

#5 General Comment

East Coast Starz

AUTHOR: A dad - ()

We just went to our first East Coast Starz event last weekend, November 9th and 10th, 2013.  We decided to give it a try because my daughter likes fashion and loves to dress up.

We didn't spend our money ($400) to go there to get picked up by an agency, nor were we mislead into thinking that we would be picked up.  That being said, my daughter, who has no experience with modeling, was chosen for a follow up interview with several reputable New York based model management companies and picked for a photo shoot with a great children's photographer.  I don't want to get everyone's hopes up by naming names, but we really had no idea this was even possible.  We also received a headshot from the photo portion of the event that we are very proud of.  There is too much to list one by one, and I felt compelled to set the record straight about East Coast Starz.

My point is, the reason's to do it are for the experience.  They treat the girls nicely, they make friends, and they build confidence by getting on stage in front of the crowd.  You can learn about the industry from parents that have been there (pageants, modeling, TV, films, etc..) and come out of it having learned a good deal if you wish.  I am glad we did it, and my daughter is already asking about Take 7.

If you are going there to get found, it is definitely possible, but there is no promise.

#6 General Comment

Not true

AUTHOR: Granny12 - ()

I do not find this to be true. We paid a small fee ($100) to attend, and that amount could be put towards an outfit, but we were never made to buy anything. Some were low cost, some were high cost, but there was no pressure to do so.

We never expected this to be a place to be discovered, either. What we read in the information was it was about the experience and fun. Friends were made and it's something many of us do, every year. Just fun.

Do not agree

AUTHOR: Mom of child model - ()

They do have connections in the industry, and have gotten kids into the industry, with their connections. This is a model pageant, plain and simple. Many pageants, and events like this, are scouted by agents.

People who want an agent, can just submit to one, but kids have also been found for the industry, this way. That being said, I have never seen stated that they promise you anything more than is advertised.

We have never done the event, but have many friends who have, and all of the info is out there, about it. I disagree, with the poster. It's not a rip off, but with anything, where you are entering your child, read all the info and ask questions, so there is no surprise.

Thanks.