Complaint Review: Edina Technical Products

• Submitted: Fri, June 29, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, May 20, 2012

• Reported By:Scott Depot West Virginia
Edina Technical Products
6055-1 Nathan Lane North Plymouth, Minnesota U.S.A.

Edina Technical Products Junk Soft Drink Vending Machines Ripoff Plymouth Minnesota

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Edina evaporators

*Consumer Comment: EDINA REFRIGERATORS

*Consumer Comment: I am another victim

* : Edina Technical Products

*Consumer Comment: I too have Edina Refrigerators in my soda/snack machines

*Author of original report: Edina Technical Products, Plymouth, Minnesota, repairing machines.

*Author of original report: Edina Technical Products-Junk Vending Machine-Last 5 years

Edina Technical Products is in the business of buying Frigidaire freezers and converting them into soft drink vending machines. They are buying the cheapest freezer they can get (sells for less than $200.00 at Lowes) and after adding some plastic shelves, doors, and coin mechanisms, selling them for vending machines. These machines sell for over $1200.00 and one company, Antares Corporation, uses them in conjunction with their $3,300.00 combo machine.

If the enormouus profit made by Edina is not enough to complain about, then the life of the machine is. These machines often last only seven years or less.

The reason for the short life is the terrible engineering behind the use of these freezer units. These units were designed to be freezers where moisture is not a major problem. However, when converted to refrigerators, moisture commonly collects on the evaporator. Since the evaporator was designed for a freezer and is simply coated with paint, it rusts. When they rust through, the 134a leaks out and cooling stops.

Refrigerators must have galvanized evaporators. Do not buy any vending machine that uses painted evaporators.

While the owner of Edina Technical Products is a millionaire with a home in Florida and race horses. He got it all by ripping off poor hard-working people trying to make a living by selling soft drinks. His machines are junk.

David
Scott Depot, West Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/29/2007 07:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Edina-Technical-Products/Plymouth-Minnesota-55442/Edina-Technical-Products-Junk-Soft-Drink-Vending-Machines-Ripoff-Plymouth-Minnesota-257651. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Edina Technical Products

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Edina evaporators

AUTHOR: Jon - (USA)

Here is information I have uncovered.

MODEL FMR-10

Produced by:

WCI

KD Distributing

Golden Valley, MN

55426

Frigidaire was bought by WCI in 1979.  WCI was bought by Electrolux in 1986

You need to contact Frigidaire Parts Division. You need an evaporator for their EDINA Model FMR7. The part number is 216701200. It should cost approx. $100.00. This should be all you need.

216701200 has been replaced by 297175900 (AP4036412)

6055-1 Nathan Lane North

Plymouth Minnesota 55442

Phone:  763-557-8000

Here are some evaporators that I have found:

PARTS LIST

This information is over a year old.

I hope this helps.

EDINA REFRIGERATORS

AUTHOR: RFK - (United States of America)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE PHONE # FOR EDINA TO GET THE EVAPORATOR PARTS NEEDED TO FIX THE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH 6 MACHINES?  THANKS.

I am another victim

AUTHOR: Jon - (USA)

David,

I too have 6 Antares machines purchased in 2003 and now they are dropping like flies.  No cooling and rusted evaporators.

Can you give more information on the Edina contact(s) that you used to get your parts to repair your machines?

Are you going to pursue the class action suit?

Any help is appreciated.

Jon

#4

AUTHOR: LaGator - (USA)

David I totally agree with you. I am 50 yrs old and have been doing HVAC and refrigeration work over 25 years. I have never seen a worse designed machine in my life. I have repaired several of my fathers machines that he depends on for his retirement income. There is no one in his area that will touch them. Everyone (ref. tech.)tells him that he needs to trash them. I keep driving over 300 miles to repair these junk machines because without them he would starve. Im very interested to know anything regarding a class action suit that you mentioned. Thanks Mitch

I too have Edina Refrigerators in my soda/snack machines

AUTHOR: Gina - (U.S.A.)

I haven't yet gone the route of complainin to Antares. I have several (5) of the machines purchased in the summer of 04 and 6 months ago a compressor went out. I pulled the machine out of service and have been unable to find someone who even works on the units. I have a "real" job but need my machine working to help finish paying for them.

Edina Technical Products, Plymouth, Minnesota, repairing machines.

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

I was contacted by an Edina representative about my problem. He assured me that this was an isolated incident in that his phone would be ringing off of his desk if they were having these problems in "wholesale lots". Anyway, he offered to repair the first five machines, since I bought five new, and send parts for the remaining machines that I had purchased used.

So far, I have received the parts needed to repair all of my machines. When I am ready, they will get a technician to repair five. Since I now have five that have failed, this won't be long.

Although it is a lot of work on my part, replacing machines in locations, I do appreciate the help from Edina in getting these machines fixed. If not for this support, we would probably have gone out of business very quickly.

I believe that the problem could be caused by the parts supplier who furnished the evaporators to unit manufacturer. They may not have supplied what was specified or may have done a poor job of coating them. However, it really doesn't matter if the company is willing to take care of the problem.

Edina Technical Products-Junk Vending Machine-Last 5 years

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

Recently had another soda machine fail after only 5 years of service. No luck with Antares Corporation or Edina. Letters and phone calls ignored. Will be advertising for people for a class action law suit.