Complaint Review: Education Direct - Thompson

925 Oak street Scranton, Pennsylvania United States of America
  • Phone: 8884271000
  • Web:
  • Category: Liars

Education Direct - Thompson Penn Foster NOT AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL..WTF!! Scranton, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: You are incorrect, they are accredited

*Consumer Comment: This School is NOT accredited

*UPDATE Employee: Not true; Penn Foster High School IS accredited!

*Consumer Comment: Thompson Education Direct/Penn Foster

*Consumer Comment: PENN FOSTER IS REGIONALLY & NATIONALLY ACCREDITED!

*Consumer Comment: Research

*Consumer Comment: class act lawsuit?

*Author of original report: IT'S TIME FOR REVENGE!! LET'S MAKE THEM PAY!!

I had an extremely hard time in high school due to a different situation so when I saw that you could get your high school diploma online I jumped at the chance.

I had just been thrown out of my previous school and because of some fund raiser $ they insisted I owed ,Cherokee ,would not release my transcripts. That being said I actually had to start from scratch again -9th grade. (I was in the beginning of my SENIOR year).

My mother paid my tuition after I explained to her that even though I thought GED's are just as good as a real diploma the college I planned on attending might not. I've always wanted to be a teacher so in my head I just kept hearing a voice say how can you teach school if you can't even finish it.

It wasn't until my second or third lesson shipment that I started suspecting that this course wasn't legit. Same exact problems as everyone else had...wrong books, missing work, mistakes in billing and miserable customer service when and if you got through to anyone.

When I called and complained I got this sorry ass excuse for my inconvience and a reasurement that all was well and legal.

I graduated in 2004 a few days before I had my third son. Now it's 2009 and my boys are all in school but I just had my first daughter in March.

I'm a stay at home mother of 4 so I wanted to try to make a little extra money until I have a chance to go to school full time to be a teacher.

I've always been really interested in hair,nails and make-up so I figured if I could go to night school for cosmetology I could have my license in 18 mo. and start working out  of my home.

I went to Empire Beauty School in Cherry Hill right down the street from me and left devastated. The woman there told me that they DO NOT and WILL NOT accept my Diploma . She said this is Not an Accredited School. I now have to go get a GED.

A GED is $50 to enroll. This high school course was $900- FOR NOTHING!

I was ripped -off and I'm filing a suit or jumping in on a class suit immediately!!

9 yrs later I just found out that this is NOT A ACCREDITTED SCHOOL,all my hard work was for nothing. And my poor mother basically went bank- over this.

I am furious!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2009 03:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Education-Direct-Thompson/Scranton-Pennsylvania-18515/Education-Direct-Thompson-Penn-Foster-NOT-AN-ACCREDITED-SCHOOLWTF-Scranton-Pennsylv-506450. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Education Direct - Thompson

You are incorrect, they are accredited

AUTHOR: C - (U.S.A.)

You are actually incorrect. They are fully accredited both nationally and regionally. I graduated while they were still Thompson Education Direct in 2005 after completing their entire High School Diploma graduation program in 18 months. My diploma was accepted to enlist into the USAF, however after careful consideration for having children and my husband being active duty I chose to not enlist and instead go to college.

I have been in college at a wonderful University, Park University... without a valid and fully accredited HS diploma you cannot attend. I am a double major with both a AS and BS in both Social Psychology and Criminal Law thanks to my high school diploma earned through (then) Thompson Education Direct.

Those who are wishing to sue are on a witch hunt after being given incorrect information by some ignorant and unintelligent individuals... this leads to people seeing dollar signs and thinking they have a case. All you will do is greatly annoy other, create a financial burden on yourself and other you ignite flames inside of and then ultimately further embarrass yourself.

This is an amazing option afforded to those who were not dealt the best of hands during our teenage years (whatever the circumstance) and gives people a chance to get back what they so rightfully deserve. If some lady at some beauty college wants to provide incorrect information then that is fine, go elsewhere. However, there is no way I would be able to attend such a prestigious university such as Park with a fake or less than ample diploma and achieve the degrees in which I have. Nor would I be able to enter into a masters program.

Think about it..

This School is NOT accredited

AUTHOR: Shena Vandal - (United States of America)

I had my run in with Penn Foster almost two years ago. I enrolled in a 5 minute conversation over the phone... completed maybe 10 percent of the classes and decided the unenroll. I went to the website, there was no penalty... all you had to do was send a letter to an address of why you wanted to enroll.. Simple right?

So I send the letter. Two or Three months later, I start getting at leaast 5 phone calls a day from Penn Foster claiming that I signed a contract and I owe them a $580 cancellation fee. I deny that I entered into any kind of contract but since they wanted to accuse me, I requested a copy of the contract they send to new students.

I have read the contract over and over, spoken with lawyer friends... there is no where in the contract that talks about a cancellation fee.. in fact, you're supposed to get reimbursed depending on how much of the course you completed.

Why I decided to unenroll? I went to enlist in the US Marine Corps.... you know what they found out for me? Penn Foster is only accredited in Indiana =]. It is not a diploma and will not be accepted or recognized as one.

They're still calling me daily... but they'll never get a penny. If you're interested in a law suit... email me vandal.shena@gmail.com

Not true; Penn Foster High School IS accredited!

AUTHOR: Thomas O''Keefe, President, Penn Fos - (United States of America)

Penn Foster High School is state licensed, regionally accredited by Middle States Commission, and nationally accredited by the DETC. Our graduates go onto all kinds of post-secondary schools: vo tech, community colleges, and universities. If  you have a problem with our diploma being accepted by another institution, please contact our student services department. They will speak to the school that turned you down and resolve the issue on your behalf.

Just let us help you.

Thompson Education Direct/Penn Foster

AUTHOR: Denise - (USA)

I had a similiar issue with my Diploma, I do not think it is the schools fault I enrolled into Briarcliffe College with my Diploma from Penn Foster when it was Education Direct I got my diploma back in 2003.  The college was pribvate and they accepted my diploma.  After 1 year at the school I decided to leave becuase it was very expensive.  I went to Branford Hall to get a certificate in Medical Assisting and they told me that my diploma was not valid, Now I know my diploma was valid becuase I did one year at a private college. I guess it was not valid for BRandford hall and all of these little certification schools.  Don't get all bent out of shape, it's real. I am currently attending Empire State University its my 3rd semester and my diploma is good. I would like to know why these schools do that to people our diploma is just as good as eeveryone else the only difference is we did not walk down the isle to get it.  But the school is accredited by several places so no need to fear your diploma is real.

PENN FOSTER IS REGIONALLY & NATIONALLY ACCREDITED!

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Penn Foster is both regionally (the highest form of accreditation) and nationally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools and the Distance Education and Training Council. Check the online listings for those accreditors and you will find them listed and you can show it to anyone who doubts it.

Your first mistake was taking the advise or opinion of someone who was running a cosmetology school. Be persistent. Show them the listing online. If they don't want to work with you, there are plenty of other cosmetology schools out there that want students. After two years of licensed experience you can teach at the cosmetology school and make your dream come true! For every door that closes their is one that opens.

The good news. You have an accredited High School diploma. Put it to work!

Research

AUTHOR: N0EG924 - (United States of America)

Penn Foster is accredited.

go to: www.pennfoster.edu/diploma/certification.html

On the left side menu click accreditation.

It's best to double check things because most people don't know what they're talking about.

class act lawsuit?

AUTHOR: victoria - (USA)

Hi same thing happened to me. Yes I am interested in a class act lawsuit. but how do I find you ? We can't leave an email here or names. let me know . thanks .p.s they are liars,thieves, and the bbb protects this pathetic company. it's all about money I bet they pay the bbb well .

IT'S TIME FOR REVENGE!! LET'S MAKE THEM PAY!!

AUTHOR: Cher - (USA)

They took our money and our time...Lies and false promises...I'm not going to just sit here and let someone else fall victim to this crime while they get off free. Anyone interested in starting a class action law suit or if there's already one started please contact me (((ROR REDACTED))). Thank you. Cher