Complaint Review: Educational Testing Service

• Submitted: Tue, April 27, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, April 27, 2010

• Reported By: James — San Jose California United States of America
Educational Testing Service

Educational Testing Service ETS, GRE Analytical Writing section not graded well, Internet

I have taught logic and how to apply logic to writing, I have an MA in philosophy, and I got straight As in graduate school. I took the GRE test over six years ago before I had a strong understanding of logic and I scored on the 80th percentile for analytical writing in December 2004. Now that I took it again on December 2009 I scored on the 40th percentile for analytical writing.

The graders are often English teachers and yet the score is based on providing "logically compelling reasons." I would expect that someone like me would know more about analytical writing than an English teacher, but I scored lower than the average student. I got a worse score than many history and literature students with a mere BA, who have never taken a logic class. Additionally, I expected to get a perfect score. I thought that I met the requirements asked of me.

We have no reason to trust the GRE analytical writing graders. Not only are the qualifications unsatisfactory, but no one is willing to explain to you why your score is as low as it is. I paid $55 for an investigation with the understanding that I could find out what I did wrong, but no explanation was ever provided and an employee told me that such an explanation would be impossible for the company to provide. I filed a complaint around 3 months ago and I never got a response.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/27/2010 01:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Educational-Testing-Service/internet/Educational-Testing-Service-ETS-GRE-Analytical-Writing-section-not-graded-well-Internet-597152. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Educational Testing Service