Complaint Review: Elance

• Reported By: scd1111 — anytown Alabama
Internet USA

Elance Freelancer Beware, bad customer service, double billing Internet

*Consumer Comment: Read the sidebar

When I signed up for Elance, I was under the impression that a freelancer (me) was able to make proposals (how much money I want to make) on posted jobs by potential clients. From what I understood, Elance charges a fee (8.75%) to clients and actually "charges" them more than what I propose.  For example: I want $500 to complete a job, Elance charges the client $500 + 8.75%, and once work is complete the client pays Elance $500 + 8.75%.  I am then paid $500 for completing the project. I'm not rocket scientist, but it seemed like a pretty good deal and adds experience to my freelance resume.

As such, I accepted a job to write educational test prep for a company out of South Florida. The client was easy to work with and quickly answered all my questions, the project was easy to complete and I would gladly work with them again. The issue came with withdrawing my money. The full amount was not available although the client released the full amount to me (all of this can easily be followed online).  When I contacted Elance about it I received the following email:

Lena, Jun 02 12:39 pm (PDT):

Hello smcd****,

Thank you for contacting Elance. Please note: All Freelancers are subject to the 8.75% Elance fee when ever they receive a payment from a Client. The 8.75% will only be deducted from the Freelancers side.

If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know.

Best Regards,
Elance Billing and Payments

This is directly opposite of what is stated in the user guidelines and what is posted on their "help center" website.  I am trying to receive my full amount owed and Elance has chosen the wrong woman to anger.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/02/2013 01:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Elance/internet/Elance-Freelancer-Beware-bad-customer-service-double-billing-Internet-1055770. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Elance

Read the sidebar

AUTHOR: exobyte - ()

As a hired freelancer, it was always clear to me that the fee is deducted from my submitted price. On Elance's sidebar there is a value for the amount billed to the client and the profit the freelancer makes after the fee.

I think this is clear to most freelancers on the site. Make sure you check both values before submitting a proposal.