Complaint Review: Electric Mobility Corporation

• Submitted: Sat, February 25, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, May 12, 2007

• Reported By:Springfield Illinois
Electric Mobility Corporation
P.o.box 156 Sewell, New Jersey U.S.A.

Electric Mobility Corporation, rascal, ultralite Mobility ripoff, win free rascal, if medicare won't pay... Ripoff Sewell New Jersey

*Author of original report: Now in Collections

*Author of original report: Now in Collections

*Author of original report: They did it!

*Author of original report: Electric Mobility

*Author of original report: If I were to SELL IT...I'd still owe

*Consumer Suggestion: Sell it for what you can get.

i had a stroke and was unable to walk very far. my doctor thought i would have full recovery and would not sign papers to have medicare pay for an electric chair. i needed a chair, and rascal was having a drawing for a free scooter. having only my monyhly disability check to live on, i couldn't afford to buy my own. i thought: wouldn't it be wonderful to win that scooter? , so i called to enter the drawing. while i was on the phone, they asked me which scooter i would be interested in, and i told them. i didn't want red, because everyone has red. the next thing i know, i was paying $100 so i could be billed monthly. the scooter that was delivered was not the one we had talked about, because the one i was interested was not in stock. however, i could have this better, much more expensive one for the same price. it was a RED fold n go. nobody came to my house to give a free demonstration because the company has noone available in my area. i called them to tell them that the scooter is too small for me. (at that time i weighed 242 pounds). according to my booklet, the scooter would carry up to 200 pounds. they sent me a revised booklet. it now carries up to 250 pounds. before my 30 day trial period was up, i told them that i don't want this scooter. i would feel better with a chair. they checked into it, determined which chair would be best for me, then came back with the answer that they couldn't finance me for the more expensive chair because i have no credit.
so i struggled with the scooter for a few months. because of the stroke, i'm unable to cook for myself, and there's a soup kitchen for the homeless right across the street from where i live. (sounds close, but not when you're unable to walk the length of the parking lot of the hi-rise where you live). i couldn't go any farther than that with this tiny scooter. i tried taking it 2 blocks away for my physical therapy once, but had to be pushed home from across the street. it wouldn't carry me that far. i could see my home, but without the help of a stranger, i would still be sitting there.
i had it worked on by central mobility, recommended by the electric mobility corporation, but it still kept dying on me. then i sent it back to be worked on for the same problems as before. after it had been in the shop for a couple of weeks, i was finally offered a loaner.(very nice, much better and bigger than my own) i had it for a couple more weeks, before they brought mine back and picked up the loaner.

when i got on my scooter to go across the street, i noticed there were no screws in the handlebar, and the foam armrest had been ripped. i didn't send it back. it has been parked in my son's basement for a year.

my doctor did finally approve my wheelchair through my medicare, but i didn't buy my chair through electric mobility. i had been making payments all this time, on a scooter i couldn't use. and i still owe over $700, which they keep bugging me for. I stopped making payments. i'm 3 months behind.

i talked to them twice just yesterday. they don't want the scooter back because i've had it too long, but they will replace the armrest so i can sell it. Now all i need to do is find some handicapped person willing to pay $700 for a worthless scooter so electric mobility can have their money.

i don't understand how entering for a FREE rascal got me into this situation, or how a big corporation like electric mobility can take advantage of people who can't walk. how can they look at themselves in the mirror every morning.

i had a stroke, its a malfunction of the brain, that affects the body. I'm college educated, but can no longer balance my own checkbook. Sounds like a money-maker to me. doesn't it to you? it has been a real good money-maker for electric mobility corporation!!!

Linda
Springfield, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2006 10:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Electric-Mobility-Corporation/Sewell-New-Jersey-08080/Electric-Mobility-Corporation-rascal-ultralite-Mobility-ripoff-win-free-rascal-if-medi-178065. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Electric Mobility Corporation

Now in Collections

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

After explaining the trouble I had gotten from Electric Mobility, (they had stopped sending me monthly bills, and now wanted the collection agency to collect on the lemon), I had expected a response from the collection agency. They responded with another bill, as follows:
The account is still outstanding with our office and will be reported to the credit bureau.
We urge you to take responsibility for this account so your credit rating is not adversely affected.

For your convenience we accept Visa/Mastercard, Western Union Quick Collect and Autopay.
This communicationis from a debt collector.
This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

If their last statement were true, they would have used my previous information and would have known that I am not going to pay for a lemon that I have tried to return!

I can't find any lemon laws for mobility scooters listed in either Illinois (my home) or in New Jersy (where I'm being billed from). Shouldn't these laws protect consumers everywhere? Where can I turn for help? They urge me to take responsibility for my account, or suffer consequences. Who accepts their unfullfilled
responsibilities, and what are their consequences?

Now in Collections

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

This communicationis from a debt collector.

responsibilities, and what are their consequences?

They did it!

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

Electric Mobility turned me over to a collection agency! I responded with a letter to the agency, explaining the problems that I've had with Electric Mobility. I let them know that Electric Mobility had stopped sending me bills, knowing that I was refusing to pay for a "lemon", and that now they expect the collection agency to force me to pay for it. I also informed the collection agency that I have reported Electric Mobility to ripoffreport.com, and that I wasn't the first to do so. I haven't received a respose from them as of yet, but I assume I will soon. I will keep you informed.

Electric Mobility

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

It's now January 8, 2007, and I just received a letter after many months of no contact with Electric Mobility. If I do not pay $776.56 + interest within 30 days, I will be turned over to a collection agency. My credit score was just checked, because I'm trying to get a grant to help me buy a home, but my score will be checked again before the process is completed. entering a contest for a "free" rascal, is destroying my life. They didn't want the scooter back when I wanted to return it, and now they're messing up my credit score because they want their money. Can they really make me buy something that I don't want? This is a scooter that they sent me because the one I ordered wasn't in stock.

If I were to SELL IT...I'd still owe

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

If I were to sell the scooter, I woul'd in no way get even close to the $700.00 I still owe on it. I'm still receiving bills from ELECTRIC MOBILITY with charges for late payments added, since I'm no longer paying them. How would selling the scooter get them off of my back? I entered the contest to win a FREE RASCAL,and now I'm stuck with a monthly bill for a FOLD N' GO Which is Too Small for me, it's RED(I specified NOT red),was returned to me after repairs with Screws Missing, and a Torn Arm Pad, and now needs a new Battery because it has been in storage for over a year. For the condition it's in, I would be lucky to get $100.00 for it.

Then if I sent the $100.00 to ELECTRIC MOBILITY, I would still have to pay them the rest of the money. They obviously have been doing this to people for at least 6 years,( according to the complaints I've read on this site), and probably longer than this site has existed. They will continue ripping us off as long as they can get by with it, because that's how they are staying in business.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Sell it for what you can get.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

I doubt you'll get the full $700 for it, but I'd sell it to someone that's not even handicapped, let them know it needs work or dies early, and they'll use it for cruising swap meets or something. The batery no doubt needs replacement by now, after setting for a year. Or, donate it and write it off on your taxes. I constantly run into people looking for those scooters for various reasons, as they are pretty cool run-around vehicles. At least it will be out of your life.