Complaint Review: Elias Borges (Borges Law, Borges Rolle LLP)

• Submitted: Sat, March 30, 2013
  • Updated: Mon, April 01, 2013

• Reported By: John Holmes — Toronto Ontario
Elias Borges (Borges Law, Borges Rolle LLP)
56 Aberfoyle Crescent, Suite 840 Toronto, Ontario United States of America

Elias Borges (Borges Law, Borges Rolle LLP) Ripped me off on preparation of my patent application and continued to extract money from me after I paid him in full. Toronto, Ontario

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: False Report

Elias Borges, patent lawyer in Toronto, Ontario, agreed to prepare and file my patent application for a very low fee, apparently to undercut other lawyers and get my business. He agreed to prepare and file my application for $4,000 dollars. After I paid this amount to Mr. Borges, he demanded additional $8,000 for no reason whatsoever. When I refused to pay, Mr. Borges began to blackmail me and threaten me with public disclosure of my invention to prevent patent registration for my invention.

DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN OR HIS LAW FIRM. He will hook you up with allegedly low fees. Once you on the hook, he will continue to extract money from you until you are dry. He is a cheater and liar. I WILL CONTINUE TO POST THIS ON ALL SITE TO WARN OTHERS.

Elias Borges operates several websites:

www.borgesrolle.com
www.tmpat.com
www.torontointellectualpropertylaw.ca
www.patent-lawyer.ca

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/30/2013 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Elias-Borges-Borges-Law-Borges-Rolle-LLP/Toronto-Ontario-M8X-2W4/Elias-Borges-Borges-Law-Borges-Rolle-LLP-Ripped-me-off-on-preparation-of-my-patent-app-1039348. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Elias Borges (Borges Law, Borges Rolle LLP)

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

False Report

AUTHOR: Elias Borges - ()

I have been practicing patent law for 24 years and was shocked to read this alleged complaint about me.  I checked my records, and I have never had a client named John Holmes.  I also do not have any outstanding complaints or issues with any clients.

This is a fake report either a competitor or by some sort of online scam organization.  Note that two of the websites listed at the bottom of the "report" list websites which cannot be found by google and were created recently for paid google advertising - why would a client list non-active websites?

If this alleged client felt hard done by, he or she could have simply file a complaint with the Law
Society for Ontario, the body that governs lawyers and paralegals practicing in Ontario.  This
would be far more effective than posting a complain on a website. I HAVE RECEIVED NO SUCH COMPLAINT.  Please check for yourself their website is www.lsuc.on.ca and their phone number is 416-947-3300.

As to the claims in the report, let me point out the following:

1. ALL patent applications are publicly disclosed 18 months after they are filed.  Furthermore, a public disclosure of an invention is not harmful if it happens after the application is filed.  It would therefore be useless for me to threaten a client with publicly disclosing their patent application.

2. I often charge $4,000 for an application but I ALWAYS make it clear that in addition to my fee there is also the government filing fees and the taxes (GST / HST).  I also make it clear that filing the patent application is only the first step - the patent application must be processed after the application is filed. This is clearly and prominently mentioned in all of my websites, retainer letters and estimates.  Just check out my website at http://borgesrolle.com/patent-price-list.htm and see for yourself.

BOTTOM LINE: The "complain" is a scam and not from a client.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC