Complaint Review: Empire Beauty School

• Updated: Wed, July 10, 2013

• Reported By: Paula — Aurora Colorado
Empire Beauty School
16800 E Mississippi Ave Aurora, Colorado USA

Empire Beauty School Terrible cosmetology training, only interested in paycheck Aurora Colorado

Empire Beauty School in Aurora Colorado did not provide me with the $13,150 in education that I had spent before I got wise and quit.  The total cost would have been over $19,000 had I stayed with the program.

During my 10 months there, I saw 4 instructors come and go, and at least 20 students drop out. The directors of education are disengaged and rarely at the school during the evening classes. I have had several classmates speak with both the Academic Director and Education Director, and nothing changed.

My instructor was rarely prepared for class, couldn't pronounce many of the common cosmetology terms, and during certain skill trainings such as make-up and long hair updos, he was very open about the fact that he did not know these, and suggested we find our training on youtube.

I talked with the Academic Director and told him that about 40% of the time, our class was just sitting around with nothing to do.  The reasons for this are 1) we were not allowed to do our homework during class time, and 2) we were not allowed to practice skills from previous modules during our current module. Modules were 6 weeks in length, and for example, during the skin care module, which we had the most "free-time", we were not allowed to practice haircutting.

On several occasions, my class was given a box of crayons and construction paper and told to design a marketing plan and business card.  I am a 34yo professional with a full-time job. I do not have the time or money to waste playing with crayons.

My instructor was also very rude, cruel, and unprofessional to a certain few students in my class.  This was done in front of the entire class, and many times sent that student home in tears.

Also, the building is in total disrepair, which is very embarrassing when working on a client.  Most of the sinks either didn't work, or didn't have hot water.  In the winter, the parking lot was a veritable ice skating rink, I knew many students who fell and a few clients.  I reported this, again, nothing was done

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2013 01:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Beauty-School/Aurora-Colorado-80017/Empire-Beauty-School-Terrible-cosmetology-training-only-interested-in-paycheck-Aurora-Co-1065963. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empire Beauty School