Complaint Review: Empire Parking Services

• Updated: Mon, December 21, 2009

• Reported By: sccc2008 — Columbia South Carolina United States of America
Empire Parking Services
3393 Peachtree St Atlanta, Georgia United States of America

Empire Parking Services Was Told He was a cop and couldnt leave until I paid fine Atlanta, Georgia

*Consumer Comment: When..

*Author of original report: Agreed!

*Consumer Suggestion: file criminal charges

On 12/20/2009, my vehicle was parked at Lenox Mall in Buckhead in Atlanta. I had been shopping at this mall over the weekend as I was in Atlanta for a function on that Sunday evening.

Upon arriving at my car, a gentleman pulled up in a mini-van with EPS written on the side of the vehicle. He stated that he had to fine me $50 due to the fact that I was "illegally parked" in the parking lot of a mall that I had been shopping at! bear in mind that this was a regular parking spot (not handicap or 15 minute parking). I had left the premises of the shopping mall to enter a hotel right next door and came back. His justification for levying a fine of $50 was that the vehicle was left unattended as I had left their mall property.

I asked what authority he had to levy a fine on a private citizen. He then clearly explained that he was a police officer. Upon asking to see identification, he pulls out a plastic ID card around his neck and shows it to me. No badge, no uniform. He explained that he was with the City of Atlanta parking enforcement division. In the interest of resolving this issue responsibly, I paid the gentleman, as I am under the impression that he is with an official law enforcement dept. In a situation like that, I am left with little choice other than to accept his claim of being a cop.

This morning, I check my credit card balance and notice the $50 charge is posted to "Empire Parking SVCS", and find that this is a private company and also come across numerous other reports of harassment and abuse from this company.

So we have many several red flags here that I have a right be vent concern about:

1. I am a paying customer for two days straight at this mall, and still must pay a fine for parking there.

2. A private company has no right under federal law to make a private citizen pay for anything without what is legally known as "consideration" (a.k.a. payment for services or goods delivered). If there has been an impairment due to my actions, they must contact actual legal authority or take me to small claims court.

3. For this individual to claim that he is operating as an officer of the Atlanta Police Department is a serious offense and I can only hope that action is taken against the company if it is their policy to make such a false claim.

At the end of the day, $50 is a small amount, but as a matter of principle, money was taken from me for reasons that I cannot explain and I have to fight abuse before it continues. Furthermore, I will not shop at Lenox Mall for the forseeable future. I can easily take my business to Phipps Plaza or Perimeter Mall. This is was a shameless example of profiteering in the form of charging me simply for the sake of being a convenient target. It is a serious offense to me that someone believes they can whisk any amount of money away for no tangible reason, regardless of the size of the amount.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/21/2009 08:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Parking-Services/Atlanta-Georgia-/Empire-Parking-Services-Was-Told-He-was-a-cop-and-couldnt-leave-until-I-paid-fine-Atlanta-542955. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empire Parking Services

When..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

When you go to "file charges" you might want to leave the following line out of your statement.

As to your other comments.

- And during those two days when you were a customer at the mall did you get "fined".  NO it was only when you were no longer a customer and went over to the hotel.

2. has no right under federal law to make a private citizen pay for anything without what is legally known as "consideration" (a.k.a. payment for services or goods delivered). If there has been an impairment due to my actions, they must contact actual legal authority or take me to small claims court.

- Actually most cities have Civil Codes that allow companies to do this.  There is nothing "Federal" about it.  If you have a problem take it up with the Atlanta City Government.

- This is the only thing I agree with you on.  However, this comes down to what they said and what you heard.  There always seems to be 3 sides to the story.  Your Side, Their Side, and somewhere in the middle the truth.

Furthermore, I will not shop at Lenox Mall for the forseeable future.

- You weren't shopping there when you got "fined" either.  So I doubt they would consider it a big loss.  Would you have rather have had your car towed?  Which I am sure they would also have had the legal right to do since again you were not a customer of the mall anymore.

Agreed!

AUTHOR: sccc2008 - (United States of America)

I do have the mans name and I will be in contact with a few agencies.

I am much less concerned at the loss of $50 and more concerned for well-being of good people that suffer the insult that these people render. I am beleaguered with a society that continues to let these shameful acts continue; shameful acts that deprive many people of hard earned money while fattening the wallets of the few.

This offensive tactic assumes I and others are simply to stupid or to apathetic to do or say anything about scum that want nothing more than to separate people from money while giving nothing back in return, and I have had it.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

file criminal charges

AUTHOR: Time Bider - (Canada)

You need to go to the actual police and file charges of impersonating a police officer. If you got this guy's name from his ID you can provide it to the police.

Once a conviction is obtained in criminal court, you can file a lawsuit using that conviction as evidence. Be sure to ask for punitive damages sufficiently high to discourage Empire Parking employees from using that tactic in the future.

I hope that you will follow through on this. No scammer should be allowed to get away with that kind of thing.