Complaint Review: Empire Promotional Events, Bold Acquisitions, Troy Global, CYDCOR

• Submitted: Wed, September 10, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, July 29, 2009

• Reported By:Manhattan New York
Empire Promotional Events, Bold Acquisitions, Troy Global, CYDCOR
www.empirepromoevents.com Jersey City, New Jersey U.S.A.

Empire Promotional Events, Bold Acquisitions, Troy Global, CYDCOR Deceitful, dishonest, scam, false advertising, umbrella offices Jersey City New Jersey

* : The Cydcor recruitment practice - is it ethical?

*Consumer Suggestion: Silencio, you may be right but Anonymous' points can't be ignored for a few reasons

*Consumer Comment: Thanx God

*Consumer Comment: Silencio, you raise some good points

*UPDATE Employee: Inexistent scam when you don't understand the basics of the job

I accepted an interview with one of these companies not really knowing too much about what I would be doing. I understood by looking at the website and reading the job description that I would be working with Professional Sports Teams and other big names and businesses, but after I went in for the interview found out it was nothing that was advertised.

So after 10 minutes at the first interview and getting invited back for an all day second interview, I was really excited to see all the ins and outs of what I would be doing. Thinking my second interview would involve sports teams because that was all that was talked about in my first interview, I was a little skeptical as I got taken door to door to try and sell companies office supplies. I was a collegiate athlete, I was looking for a company that works within the sports industry and to find out that we were going to walk around all day and promote office supplies was very dishonest!

I also found out at the end of the day that you don't get paid unless you sell something, which is really hard when only the business owner can make that decision because they were frequently not in.

The girl that took me on my interview was really nice so I don't want to use her name, I'm just really disgusted at their interviewing tactics and that they weren't more upfront with what they were doing. Don't tell me you work with sports clients and then walk me around selling staplers and copy paper.

Turns out I ended up interviewing at two others of these offices all that use the same interviewing tactics. So if you are looking for a job in sports, I would probably verify that they actually work with sports.

Anonymous
Manhattan, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/10/2008 03:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Promotional-Events-Bold-Acquisitions-Troy-Global-CYDCOR/Jersey-City-New-Jersey/Empire-Promotional-Events-Bold-Acquisitions-Troy-Global-CYDCOR-Deceitful-dishonest-sc-371728. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empire Promotional Events, Bold Acquisitions, Troy Global, CYDCOR

#1

The Cydcor recruitment practice - is it ethical?

AUTHOR: A - (U.S.A.)

Many offices go through the very same interview process each and every day by giving applicants false hope of what they are applying for.

It starts with the Ads, they almost always fudge information in these ads to push more people to apply. They will not mention door to door in these ads and even more commonly will list a salary amount that is false. Monster, Careerbuilder, and Hotjobs have caught on to this and have given Cydcor rules on what content is allowed in their affiliates ads. However, many Cydcor offices use other recruiting techniques, i.e Craig's list, jobster, newspapers, employment guides, and of course the resume banks you can purchase from most recruiting websites. With these other avenues there aren't any rules these offices need to follow.

Second the administrator is taught to avoid mentioning the words commission, door to door, and in some cases even the company name. Since they do know there could be a direct link to Cydcor or an affiliated office that might have a bad reputation, they try to avoid making that link right off the bat.

Now the administrator has done her job and the applicant has reached the office for an interview. The admin is then taught to keep conversation with the interview as to avoid any questions that may pertain to the job. The last thing an admin wants to hear is, "So what do you guys do here?" She is not allowed to spill the beans to the applicant and thus is taught to say that they will cover that in the interview.

The admin has once again done her job and the manager now gets to sit with the interview. The manager will then bring the interview into the office and begin barraging them with meaningless questions. For the most part these managers aren't even paying attention, all they are wondering is if this person would ever work here. They will try to avoid giving the interview any chance to ask questions and are taught for their first day as an asst. manager to refer all questions of compensation til the 2nd interview. They are also taught to avoid using terms like door to door and business to business and instead will keep it bland by saying outsourced marketing firms that work with big name companies. Each office only works with one company, therefore they are flat out lying to the individual by mentioning any other company besides the one they are currently working with. At that point they tell the interview they are only inviting a few candidates back for a second round interview and if they are selected they will receive a call later in the evening.

To elaborate a little more for you on this last point, you stated that they have an extensive interview process to avoid hiring someone that is not a fit. Actually, as far as the first round interviews go they are just looking to fill 2nd round interview slots in for their leaders. They will invite candidates back that they know are not a fit in order to keep their leader motivated, the last thing they want is a leader who thinks they are just doing sales.

Now the interview has left the office and is given a grade by the manager. The interview sheet goes in a pile until later that evening. Depending on the size of the office they will invite between 4 and approx 15 people back for a second interview. They invite more than they can handle purposely because they don't expect them all to show up. The admin has also been taught to sound extremely excited to the person on the phone that they are one of the lucky people to have been invited back, tell them to wear comfortable shoes because of course they don't know where they are going, and once again refer all questions to the second interview.

The candidate has decided that they will come back for the second interview without knowing what to expect they get introduced to a rep and then jump in the car without knowledge of where they are going. That is not even the interesting part, it is how the reps are taught to conduct these interviews. 1)Keep the interview on their toes so that they take the interview serious. 2) Refer all questions about compensation til lunchtime. 3) Make sure you put a fear of loss in them, that we are only hiring a few people. 4) And of course, make sure you preach about the opportunity because nobody will be excited about the actual job itself or the money you will make in reality while being in the field. 5) Close the interview, now this is the most interesting part because I dont' know too many companies who don't care about how an interview went, just that the person is closed. It doesn't matter what the persons qualifications are, you're job is to close them.

The day is coming to an end and the interview is coming back to the office. They will come in and fill out a questionaire that will either have questions about concepts used or in general about their day. The purpose of this questionaire is 1) make the person once again feel the fear of loss, and 2) let the manager find out what the excitement level is. When the manager sits down with the interview, their number one concern is can this person start tomorrow. If the person can't they will try to convince them that they need to or the position will be gone. What I love about this is that if the person decides to come in the next day, they will see 10 more interviews in the lobby, wow that position was really going to be filled up.

This is my basic synopsis of how recruiting practices work within Cydcor offices, if you have any argument to that then please reply, I am always open to criticism.

The recruitment process is what makes Cydcor a scam, not the job itself. Cydcor companies are not honest with their candidates and it is not because they are evil people that run these companies, it's because it's a system that has been in place for years and years. There is nothing wrong with taking risks, but truly successful people take calculated risks. If people are not given facts head on then they are not able to calculate their risk factor. If the position is not something that would work for the person then they really didn't fail on their own, they were assisted by this unethical recruiting practice.

I will close with a little background on Cydcor and it's companies. DS-Max started it all and then split into different factions. Originally it was just DS-Max, Granton, and Cydcor. As time went on other factions began to split away, they changed DS-Max to Innovage and sold the DS-Max name to another company. In the case of Cydcor, it is hard to say that offices are independent from Cydcor. Within Cydcor all sales you make for your client are paid out to Cydcor, then Cydcor dispurses the offices share to the office. If the office was independent than the client would send the wire directly to the office. Cydcor also has a contract that each ICL must sign with rules of how they can conduct their office. The contract frees Cydcor from any legal liability of the company, however can still force the ICL to follow its rules. I have to admit, it is pure genious on Cydcor's end. They bring in revenues with practically no risk factor. If an office opens and closes, they didn't lose a dime as would a larger corporation opening and closing a new branch.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Channiee - (U.S.A.)

I received a call today from a representative saying they found my resume online and gave me a call (after setting up a Career builder account only yesterday!). I was a bit excited to get such an immediate response from an employer. The rep (also a she) on the phone said that my resume exemplified exactly what they are looking for. She then told me the job I would be doing is marketing, sales and customer service and asked if I could come in tomorrow for a job interview, that I needed to act fast because spots are filling up. I immediately thought "SCAM!" because of the immediate response, the desire to schedule an interview so quickly,etc. She barely told me anything about the job when she asked me if I wanted to work for them. A bit baffled, I said "I am interested in learning more." Anonymous, I'm not sure where you got the sports team bit but Silencio is right, their clients include Staples so the office supplies bit makes sense. But before she lured me into an interview, I started asking questions. I eliminated all the hooplah and asked her "what exactly will I be doing?" She honestly told me that I would be trying to get new clients. Still I was a little confused because customer service and marketing could mean creating advertisements, making models to gain new customers, etc.
So to really get an understanding if this was a sales job, I asked her, "is this job commission based?" She said "I'm not allowed to share that with you. Only my managers can answer that." And that's when I realized "oh! it's sales!" I searched online to see if this job is legit and from Silencio's post, I will assume it is. At the same time, if you don't ask questions, you may not get the answers that can help you move forward. Anonymous, if anything, you were a little mislead as I almost was. Silencio, on the phone with the rep, I wasn't told that this job was a sales position. I had to do a little probe and prod to get that. And I never said in my resume (nor does my resume show a background in sales) that I wanted a job in sales. Instead, I heard "You can become a manager and have your own team!" Not saying this isn't true, but comments like that without explaining what the job actually entails isn't cool.
But I am not going to point fingers at Troy--they are pitching a job to you, they obviously want you to be interested. Extra kudos for being legit. However, I would've liked if they just said 'hey--this is a sales position' and in return, I could've easily said "Thank you, but I have no interest in sales." It would've saved me my daytime minutes :)

Thanx God

AUTHOR: La India Maria - (U.S.A.)

Thank God I viewed this report I saved myself a drive, this company call me today for an interview on Monday. And if I would have known that this company sells office supplies I will had never applied. what a ripoff!

Silencio, you raise some good points

AUTHOR: Nyxalinth - (U.S.A.)

The job itself is legitimate, but maybe not for everyone. it sure isn't for me. But please tell us how selling stuff for Staples equates to anything to do with sports? (Maybe there's a new ball team called 'The Omaha Staplers' or the 'Denver Toner Cartridges'?)They advertised working for sports teams. The OP said the ad said he'd get to work with teams and sporting events. what the job really was was selling office supplies.

I think he has a right to be angry because the ad was misleading. since you work for them, perhaps you could hep us to understand this better. otherwise, i cry foul, or at the very least, bait and switch.

Inexistent scam when you don't understand the basics of the job

AUTHOR: Silencio - (U.S.A.)

Dear Mr. Anonymous,
Considering that your negative experience is quite the only one which triggered the need for you to report Troy Global as a company using "dishonest methods in order to recruit young and naive college students" is quite exaggerated and fully erroneous. I hope this makes sense to you, but I cannot let you tarnish the image of my employer. If you think I am an idiot for choosing to work for them, you're strongly mistaken. I am not a college grad, I am a law school post-grad and a New York attorney. And I voluntarily decided to work for them. Troy Global makes it pretty clear during the first interview about what they're doing and with which companies they work. At the time you interviewed, the client was Staples and yes, as a representative for the company, you get to sell paper supplies to businesses. They are a marketing company which deals with Fortune 500 companies simply because they have laid off their marketing departments. It is a job which starts at the bottom, where you hit the pavement in order to earn your daily compensation. But if you have the drive to go through it, if you take the time to realize you are made for this job and you love it, then there's no scam. There's no disgusting technique. It's pure competition. A challenge every day. Records to set. And learning management rules in order to become a manager. This job is great for independent people who strive on their own self-determination. It's definitely not a job that will assist you and pay you to do nothing. It's really a way to make money, and when you're good at it, you make a lot of it. The fact that you were not made for the job doesn't make that company a scammer. They rely on too many young bright people and it would be really silly to think that the only goal of this company is to try to cheat them. They honestly believe in self-motivation, so if you're not the right person, then no, this company will not satisfy you. So don't try to change the reality by saying that they deliberately lied to you. Maybe if you were not so focused on "sports" during your interview and you had actually listened to what your interviewed told you when he presented the company's profile to you, you would have understood what kind of job you were competing for. Oh but I am sorry, you don't like competition. You think it's all a scam. Maybe a more collectivist environment would better suit you then.