existed

• Updated: Tue, December 27, 2011

• Reported By: TLC — Chicago Illinois USA
Empire Today
333 Northwest Ave. Northlake, IL, Illinois United States of America

Empire Today Empire Bait and Switch even after signed contract Northlake, IL, Illinois

*Author of original report: They paid me

*UPDATE Employee: ET Customer Support

*Consumer Comment: This is why..

*Consumer Comment: This is why..

Got a great deal (to good to be true) for a 10x10 new kitchen floor (hardwood) contract signed is to take up the old ceramic tile (plus haul away) and then lay plywood sub-floor down. Installers got there and stated that under the ceramic is a cement sub-floor which also requires to be taken out. Installers informed me this is much harder and would have to charge me an additional $200!!!!!!! Even though in my SIGNED contract it was for take up of old floor plus haul away! Why didn't the salesperson tell me that he isn't sure what is under there and that there could be an additional charge? At least I would have been prepared. Anyway, an important part is I signed the contract on Oct 29 and had them "Install" on Dec 10 (well beyond the 30 days they have to make ANY changes to my contract, including adjustment of the price). I am requesting that they pay me the $200 for the floor take up since it was in my contract. I called for help and the lady is going to be "checking into it" by talking with the salesperson! How does that resolve anything, they were the idiots that didn't charge me that in the first place! So I told her that I refused to talk to the salesperson, since i am in this situation in the first place because of him. She then went on to inform me that the $200 was to prep the floor!? Why does a floor have to be prepped to be ripped up? What prepping? That isn't why, the reason they said was because of the cement sub floor. No one knows what is going on . So I will have to update this when I get more information but wanted to point out that on the back of your contract it clearly states that any changes Empire needs to make HAVE to be within 30 days.

Oh another note, if you are getting them installed in Chicago, please make sure they are with a good install company. My installers put a screw through my gas line (and the topper is the gas lines are VISABLE! so they could see them, they just couldn't measure)  causing an entirely new set of issues for me which I can't even get into on here because my complaint is for the $200

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2011 02:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Today/Northlake-IL-Illinois-60164/Empire-Today-Empire-Bait-and-Switch-even-after-signed-contract-Northlake-IL-Illinois-808282. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empire Today

They paid me

AUTHOR: Chicago - (USA)

I was sent a check for the "upsell" before my installation started. Thanks for that Empire but I shouldn't have had to go through that. I won't be using them ever again but they did make it right.

ET Customer Support

AUTHOR: Business Response - (USA)

Tami, were truly sorry about the problems that occurred during your installation and for any inconveniences that resulted from it.  We always want to provide a positive experience for our customers and to address any concerns they may have. Someone from our customer service team will be reaching out to you shortly to work on a resolution. Should you have any questions, please call us at 888-588-2315x4195 or email us at customersupport@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager

This is why..

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

I threw them out after one counsultation for flooring.  Prepping the floor surface constitutes removing old flooring in order to install the new.  It's just a term for tearing out your old floor.

Anyone familiar with flooring knows that stone or tile surfaces require a cement backboard to prevent cracking.  They were either incompetent or deliberatly withholding information.  Probably the former.

This is why..

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)