brick

• Submitted: Sun, February 03, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, March 06, 2008

• Reported By:Crown Point Indiana
Empire Today
333 Northwest Ave Northlake, Illinois U.S.A.

Empire Today Empire Carpet looks terrible after 1 month. Northlake Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Response to Empire Carpet Complaint

*Consumer Suggestion: They Did the Same Thing to Us

*UPDATE Employee: Company Response

I finished the 4th bedroom in are 6 year old home and I wanted to get carpeting in so we could get all the computer stuff put away and get our Christmas tree and decorations up. We called Empire and they came out quickly and could install the next day. The salesman was nice and helpful so we had laminate flooring put in the kitchen and new carpet put in the living room. We spent over $4000 in flooring. Me and my wife decided on a darker carpet and I was concerned about wear patterns and the salesman told me not to worry that the carpet had a 5 year appearance warranty. We had the Ashbury carpet put in with the vegas padding (which is the best they offer). One month after the carpet was installed we noticed wear patterns and our Kirby vaccum was going through bags like crazy 4 in one month. I called Empire and they said they would send a inspector to the house that they would contact me within a week. After a couple of days later they called and said they would replace the carpet without an inspection, after talking to the lady on the phone they thought I meant the computer room which that carpet was only about $450 which I paid cash for. She said since it was the bigger room the would have to send an inspector I paid $1872 for the carpet in that room. A couple of days later the inspector called and set up a time to come to the house. She came out to the house and took picture with a digital camera that was really low quality. She took a wire brush(like a dog brush) and brushed the carpet and took more pictures. Then she took a screwdriver and looked at the fibers. Then she said she was done. I asked the inspector did she see anything and she said she sees my area of concern. About a week later I got a letter in the mail and it said that the flooring meets all industry standards and is free of ALL manufactacturing defects. Then in the report it says that it has slight crushing and it is know as packing. So I called Empire to ask them what this all meant and tell told me that the carpet was good that I am wrong. I have had a birthday party for my Daughter and a gradution party for a friend and everyone has noticed had bad the carpet looks but the inspector found nothing wrong. So I asked about the appearance warranty They told me that the inspection was good I told them I dont care what the inspection said the carpet looks really bad. They told me the appearance warranty doesnt cover the appearance???? So what does a Appearance warranty cover. I started looking for my warranty info that I tought I received when they put in the carpet, but you dont get it you have to contact custmer service to get that info.. I am in going to try and get that info and take it to my lawer to read over. They also told me I could pay for another inspection that I had to pay for myself. I called around and they want at least $150 to start. My lawer said it would only take 30 mins to look that info over so I think I am going to go that route. I hope this is usefull to someone, and as you were always told if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Mark
Crown Point, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/03/2008 11:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Today/Northlake-Illinois/Empire-Today-Empire-Carpet-looks-terrible-after-1-month-Northlake-Illinois-305842. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empire Today

Response to Empire Carpet Complaint

AUTHOR: Kim - (U.S.A.)

I have just posted my own complaint about Empire Carpet on this website. I have noticed that complaints about this company that get posted on the internet seem to have more of a chance at a resolution. Google searching "empire carpet complaints" shows many complaints and alot of resolutions. Maybe the squeeky wheel saying really is true!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

They Did the Same Thing to Us

AUTHOR: Yvette - (U.S.A.)

Empire did the exact same thing to us. They sent out that ridiculous "inspector" and the "inspector" submitted the same report. It's all routine to them. I argued with them over the phone about that stupid report and our crappy carpet and they wouldn't do anything.
So...I filed with the Better Business Bureau. It's easy. You can do it online. Within a week Empire called and told me they would replace our carpet.

Company Response

AUTHOR: Empire - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. We are currently looking into the concerns mentioned in your post regarding your carpet and inspection. We will contact you within the next three business days. Please feel free to contact us at CustomerSupport@empiretoday.com for further assistance