Complaint Review: Empower Academy Fitness and Martial Arts

• Submitted: Sun, February 27, 2011
  • Updated: Sun, February 27, 2011

• Reported By: alohacowgirlsurfer — The Colony Texas USA
Empower Academy Fitness and Martial Arts
2833 Eldorado Parkway suite 303 Frisco Tx 75034 Frisco, Texas United States of America

Empower Academy Fitness and Martial Arts Thieves and Scamers Frisco, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Love Empower Academy

I wanted to sign my son up for martial arts and Empower Academy is not far from our home. I simply walked in asked to sign up for a few classes to try it out since he was only almost 4years old and was not sure if it was going to work out because of his attention span.
She handed me a contract and had me fill out and sign a release form. I DID NOT fill out and commit on the credit card part and paid for the first month wich was a back to school special $50 and told her, "I do not want to commit to the 6mo" Please give me the paperwork that will release me from the contract now, because like I said I do not want to commit to the 6 mo term contract" She immediately told me I did not need to sign anything and I would NOT be tied to the contract. I said "are you sure" she reassured me that I would not and I went to the class.

Next, the schedule was not up to date and there were only half the amount of classes but I only found this out after I showed up and no one was there or some other event was going on. The last time I showd up at the end of the month there was a graduation going on during a scheduled class time and I told the instructor we would not be attending any longer because of the misleading class times and dragging my entire family out and then nothing! Not to mention at least two or three e-mails a day advertising other events cluttering my inbox. So frustrating!

Next after I attending no more than four classes, I was sent a bill for $125, which I did not pay because i was not responsible. a week later it was sent to a credit bureau and then to ding my credit. We tried calling to discuss the matter and they refused to give us any paperwork or warning that we needed to sign any paper to get out of their contract. So, we ended up with bad credit, paying for non existing classes and $over $200 dollars. I should also mention that this is the worst martial arts class I have ever seen. The instructors grab the kids by the belt and jerk  them around while they yell at all the 3yr olds to get in line...and then tell them they cant have a treat from the treasure box if they don't bring an art project  to class or if they cry a little. Thieves and Scammers!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2011 05:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empower-Academy-Fitness-and-Martial-Arts/Frisco-Texas-75034/Empower-Academy-Fitness-and-Martial-Arts-Thieves-and-Scamers-Frisco-Texas-700634. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empower Academy Fitness and Martial Arts

Love Empower Academy

AUTHOR: Danielle Lee - ()

I found the original report about Empower Academy comical.  My three children have been attending classes at Empower for over 5 years and I couldn't praise the instructors enough.  The first thing mentioned was a concern about a contract.  Obviously, you did not do your homework as most all karate studios require a contract at the time of enrollment with 12 months being the standard.

Your second complaint was about being sent to a credit bureau after "only a week" of not paying?  You initially stated that you did NOT sign the contract but later contradict yourself by admitting of trying to get out of the contract!

The class schedule of the studio changes 2 times per year to accommodate the kids schedules for summer and fall with the first Saturday of each month being dedicated to graduations year round.  In 5 years of being there, this has not changed!  They send 1 email out per week (not 2-3/day like you claimed) of the month's upcoming events as well as post signs all over the studio to remind parents of this.  It's a pretty fool proof system for anyone that can read.

The instructors are beyond amazing and extremely patient.  As a parent of a child with ADHD, I initially enrolled my daughter into Empower's program to help teach her how to be respectful, responsible and follow directions among other things.  She has improved dramatically and we were so happy that we enrolled our other 2 children as well.

Parents need to remember that this is a MARTIAL ARTS studio and not a playground.  If there is one misbehaving kid in the class, it disrupts the others.  I pay for my time there and do not appreciate a parent who sits back and ignores the fact that their child is being a burden on the class yet gets upset if they get disciplined!  It's those parents that refuse to acknowledge the fact that their kid is the problem and ruin the experience for others.

On a side note, kids get extra stripes on their belts for bringing in art work, good grades, etc.  They only get a treat from the treasure box if they BEHAVE and follow directions during class!

Martial Arts is a self disciplined, contact sport which requires a level of commitment.  If you are unable keep track of class times and your son cries during classes, then he is not ready.