Complaint Review: Encompass Car Insurance

• Updated: Fri, February 17, 2012

• Reported By: sueellen — amarillo Texas United States of America
Encompass Car Insurance
P.O. Box 440457 Internet United States of America

Encompass Car Insurance Bad faith dealings with Encompass on car appraisal, Internet

*Author of original report: Latest from Encompass

*Consumer Comment: Suggestions

My daughter was hit by another car that was driving out of control on Jan 13, 2012.   The driver hit a truck then spun out of control into my daughter, totaling her vehicle.  My daughter was 8 months pregnant at the time of accident.  The other driver carried State Farm Insurance and we carried Encompass.  The police ticketed and clearly found fault with the driver that hit her vehicle for driving out of control in excessive speeds.

State Farm refused to cover my daughter's car saying that her 2004 4runner was over the coverage limit on policy for their covered driver so we began subrogation with Encompass (our insurance).    I began to deal with Adjuster Rudy Gail with Encompass Insurance at this point.  At first Mr. Gail was polite, but as time progressed and he found I wasn't going to just accept the first offer that he threw at me, he became more and more difficult to deal with.

He offered $13,000 for her 2004 fully loaded sport edition 4runner.  That included the $1000. sales tax.   I had looked extensively at 4runners before his offer and knew immediately that the offer was at the least, $2000 to low.  I offered him NADA's figures of $14, 825 and Kelly BB of $14, 260.  I fully realize that car dealerships quote way too high so I even low balled their quotes that I'd found.

I asked for a reasonable $15K that was including the $1000 sales tax.  He flatly refused to look at my figures and adamantly stated that all he would offer was $13k total, including the sales tax.  When I refused this, the next day they canceled my daughter's rental car with Enterprise, even though State Farm had paid until Feb 2 and they had a policy with my for 30 days at $20/$600.

After calling and complaining they gave my daughter back her car.  Mind you, she now had a 5 day old baby when they had taken her car.  She was left stranded and if Enterprise and I had not pointed out to them our rights, Encompass Insurance would not have cared in the least.  I tried speaking with a supervisor, John Embarry.  He was so rude that my blood was boiling after just a short conversation.

Now we are at a point of looking into my writing a letter to an adjuster notifying him of my intent of invoking my appraisal clause and seeking arbitration.  This is just ridiculous but this is how Encompass makes an extra buck.  By leaving a new mother with a 5 day old baby stranded without a car while they haggle and bully in bad faith over what to them is basically nothing.  How they sleep at nights is beyond me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2012 10:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Encompass-Car-Insurance/internet/Encompass-Car-Insurance-Bad-faith-dealings-with-Encompass-on-car-appraisal-Internet-839526. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Encompass Car Insurance

Latest from Encompass

AUTHOR: sueellen - (USA)

Oh I agree, my real issue WAS with the driver of the other auto. However, my insurance is handling it now and unfortunately for me they are squeezing every penny they can out of my pocket to line their own. Just so you know, even when you do happen to find a vehicle somewhere near their quoted price then you must always add in all of the fees and taxes. That is almost always over $1000, easily. There is even a thing such as a doc fee that varies from state to state, my statie's is $150.

Encompass chose to just ignore that little problem, even when confronted with it.

Another petty and annoying thing, when I'd asked to speak to Rudy Gail's supervisor, he'd just passed me off to another adjuster near his desk. How do I know? First, his supervisor is female and I talked with a male, second, no way you get one that quick, it was immediate, and third, the guy was unbelievably rude. My only thought on that situation is that it is what I'm just expecting from Encompass, incompetence. Their real supervisor added in another $500 and my local insurance office argued for the extra fees for me. That now makes us at $14,300. To purchase the car Mr. Gail's used as his own argument I would have to have 14,800. But you know, I think I'm going to let them take that $500 from me. They need it so bad.

Suggestions

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Your real issue is with the other driver who had what was probably the absolute Minimum Liability Insurance required by the State.

But just because the other drivers insurance policy didn't pay, does NOT mean that the other driver is "off the hook".  There is nothing that says you can not go after the other driver for your damages.

While you should at least consult a lawyer first to make sure you would still have a claim against the other driver, to be able to move on you may want to seriously consider taking the 13K offer from your insurance company.  Purchase another car.  Then going after the other driver for the 2K difference in cost as well as the extra rentals you had to do.

Most likely you can do this in Small Claims, and if you get a judgment depending on your State you can then possibly take further action such as Wage Garnishment, attaching their bank accounts to get  your money.