Complaint Review: Energy Plus

• Submitted: Wed, July 01, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, July 01, 2009

• Reported By:Saratoga Springs New York
Energy Plus
3711 Market Street, 9th Floor Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Energy Plus Holdings Energy Plus promised to provide electricity at lower cost than my utility. Instead, the charges are more than double. Philadelphia Pennsylvania

This ESCO (Energy Supply COmpany) promises to lower your utility bill. My utility company (National Grid) consistently charges $0.05-0.06 per kWh over the last year. The first month after switching to Energy Plus, the charge was $0.06. Nothing dramatic, but no complaint either. The next month, the charge went to $0.13, costing me about $50 over what I would normally pay. I called customer service, and was told that the price can fluctuate month to month, but that over a year it would average out to lower than National Grid charges. I was very skeptical, figuring that just one month at double the cost would wipe out 11 months of 10% lower charges. The agent urged me to stick with the program. The next month, the charge is still $0.13. I asked Energy Plus if they publish their rates going backward, so that I could check and see if they really do average lower than the utility over the long haul, I was told NO. I called National Grid - they told me their charge for my area for electricity supply is still $0.05/kWh. Now I'm out over $100 and the tab keeps rising - I asked to switch back and was told that it can't happen until the next billing cycle, meaning I'm stuck paying Energy Plus for ANOTHER month.
Based on other complaints I have seen posted here, I suspect this is the company's modus operandi: sucker customers in, gouge them at double the going rate, by the time the customer figures out what's going on and cancels, they've made more than enough to move on to the next sucker.
Be aware that because you don't find out the current monthly rate until AFTER you've consumed the electricity. According to your contract, you could be charged absolutely any rate, no matter how obscene, and it is still legal and you're still liable to pay.

Saratoga Springs, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/01/2009 09:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Energy-Plus/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19104/Energy-Plus-Holdings-Energy-Plus-promised-to-provide-electricity-at-lower-cost-than-my-uti-466742. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Energy Plus