Complaint Review: Enterprise Auto Protection

• Updated: Tue, September 20, 2011

• Reported By: FEELING VIOLATED — United States of America
Enterprise Auto Protection
Somewhere, Missouri United States of America

Enterprise Auto Protection American Auto Shield Shady Marketing & Business Somewhere, Missouri

*Consumer Comment: It came from the DMV

Much like this poster:

This mailing was deceptive and intentionally misleading.  I had just recently purchased a car (from a private seller) and only registered my car at the DMV and got insurance.  Some how in less than 40 days I'm getting mail that has my entire name and also car model make and year.  I find that neither the DMV nor my insurance gives out information so where did they get it?

I called 1-866-503-4680 and spoke to Chip who initial told me I couldn't be removed from a mailing list nor speak to the marketing department that originally got my information.  The second time I called back to ...continue later

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/20/2011 11:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Enterprise-Auto-Protection/Somewhere-Missouri-/Enterprise-Auto-Protection-American-Auto-Shield-Shady-Marketing-Business-Somewhere-Miss-779019. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Enterprise Auto Protection

It came from the DMV

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

I find that neither the DMV nor my insurance gives out information so where did they get it?"

While most DMVs will pretend that your information is protected under the federal Driver Privacy Protection Act, in reality it's not the case.    There are giant holes (i.e. exceptions) in the law which allow data brokers to buy vehicle registration information and sell it to marketers.   While this is certainly contrary to the spirit of the law, there are enough technical ambiguities in the letter of the law to make it a profitable business until the law is amended or clarified by the courts.