Complaint Review: Enterprise Car Rental

• Updated: Mon, November 04, 2013

• Reported By: Ian — Weymouth Alabama
Enterprise Car Rental
175 Jubilee Rd Edinburgh, Select State/Province United Kingdom

Enterprise Car Rental - tried to give us with a car with a dangerous tyre fault, and then ripped us off on another car tyre. Edinburgh Scotland

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Its not all as it seems

*UPDATE Employee: Enterprise Cares

Two friends and I rented a car at Edinburgh airport on Sept 28th 2013.

The first 'thoroughly checked' car we were given was not inspected by the gentleman who served us, who did not even walk to the car.  He told me not to worry about checking too much as Enterpise only care about tyres and windscreens.  Upon looking myself, I found a large nail through the front tyre - a dangerous fault which I took a photo of.  After a lot a hassle, we were given another car which we checked quickly and found to be OK.

When we stopped at our first rest area, I saw on my way back to the car a small mark on the rear sidewall of one of the tires not visible unless you got down on your knees or looked froma a distance.

Fast forward to returning the car - and I find two things.  According to the handheld computer of the inspector, the odometer had gone backwards. [continued below]....

.....  The Enterprise paperwork was still for the old car.  Oh, and we need to pay for a new tyre becuase of the mark.  In the discussion that followed the conversation went like this:

Me) How do I know that mark was not there before and you are not just trying to stick us for a defect you missed before?

Enterprise) Every car is very carefully inspected before it gets to a new renter. There is no-way that could have been there when you took it.

Me) How come the first car you gave me had a dangerous tyre fault that I found if you inspect so carefully?  Here's a picture!

Enterprise) Err, um, err, it must have happened between the inspection bay and the car park space!

Me) That was 5 metres.  You and your Supervisor it seems to me would have happily given us a dangerously defective car if it meant getting rid of a fault you did not find before by getting someone like me to take the 'inspected' car without going through it with a magnifying glass.

Enterpise) That's not the case - you did this yourself andf you have to pay for it.

Their answers got even more silly after that - I could not have any paperwork unless I signed to say I agreed to the damage...their IT could not print out the mileage content from the handheld....etc.  All of it was clearly rehersed, they had obviously been through it time and time again.  As I had them on the original car and had the photographic proof, they 'did me a favour' by waiving the £700, and 'only' charging me £150 for the new tyre.  Ain't that kind?

Conclusion: if you want a rental car that does not have potentially lethal faults on it then check any car that you rent from Enterpise Edinburgh very carefuly.  Their car park would seem to be covered with metal spikes that can get into the car tyres between the inspection bay and the spaces without anyone noticing!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/04/2013 03:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Enterprise-Car-Rental/Edinburgh-Select-StateProvince-EH12-9DN-/Enterprise-Car-Rental-tried-to-give-us-with-a-car-with-a-dangerous-tyre-fault-and-then-1096881. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Enterprise Car Rental

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Its not all as it seems

AUTHOR: Daniel - ()

I used to work at Enterprise / Glasgow.

I strongly believe this accusation is TRUE due to the fact that the clientsI never made any damages to the vehicle, the Enterprise rental agent(Nancy) inspected the car upon returning it and found no damages or never informed me of any at that time. I believe the damages (if their is any) occured AFTER returning the car and inspection was made and I had already left the business, possibly from drop off point to the companies parking area made by an Enterprise associate. I plan on appealing this accusation and never renting from Enterprise again also never referring potential clients to Enterprise as well if this matter isn't dismissed and I am found not liable for these damages I never made to this vehicle.

I am an honest person and excellent driver and would of notified them if I made any damages to their car I rented. I would hope to continue my business with Enterprise so I hope they realize that I am not at fault in this matter. Lets see what happens !!

Enterprise Cares

AUTHOR: Enterprise Rent-A-Car - ()

Ian, Customer service and satisfaction is very important to us at Enterprise. I would like to follow up with you. Please email me at care@enterprise.com with the complete details, exact renting location, and any rental agreement numbers. I look forward to hearing from you soon, thank you. Chris, Social Media Monitor, Enterprise Rent-A-Car