Complaint Review: Enterprise Rent-a-car

• Updated: Fri, March 22, 2013

• Reported By: Greg Valentine — Wilmington Delaware
Enterprise Rent-a-car
190 S. Dupont Highway New Castle, Delaware United States of America

*Author of original report: Enterprise Rent-a-car Enterprise Rent=a=car attempting to impose a false damage claim New Castle, Delaware

*UPDATE Employee: Damage Claim Concern

*Consumer Comment: comment

On March 13, 2013, I was buying a car from a dealer that I drove to in an Enterprise Rent-A-Car vehicle.  I had the vehicle for about 10 days.  Upon purchasing a new vehicle, the auto dealership assured me that they routinely return vehicles to Enterprise and would arrange to have it returned the next morning.

On March 14, 2013, I received a call from Derek Hahn, am Enterprise employee based at the office where I originally rented the car from.  He informed me that Enterprise found two foot long gouges in the middle of the roof of the car.  He informed me that I would need to pay my $500 deductible and potentially file an insurance claim.

I was astonished.  I told him that that car had not incurred any damage during the time I had it.  He asked if I had placed any kind of object on the roof and I told him that I hadn't.  I hadn't even parked under a tree.  I had gone to great pains to ensure nothing happened to that car even parking away from other cars in parking lots and watching where the door was swung when opening it.  I truly am just sure this did not occur on my watch.

I also pointed out that when I picked the vehicle up, we only walked around it to inspect it, never did we attempt to see what was in the middle of the roof!

He proceeded to send me a picture of the damage.  It was very difficult to see if the scratches were serious or deep in the picture.  You could some scratches but they were faint.

At this point I am supposed to wait while Enterprise assesses the damage and inform me how much I will have to ultimately pay.

I also called the dealership where they picked the car up and they said the Enterprise employee didn't say anything to them about damage.  It would seem to me they would have tried to get an external witness at that point.

I am outraged and believe that I am being taken advantage of.  It is way too convenient that since I was not there to also inspect the vehicle when they picked it up that they can nail me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2013 05:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Enterprise-Rent-a-car/New-Castle-Delaware-19720/Enterprise-Rent-a-car-Enterprise-Rentacar-attempting-to-impose-a-false-damage-claim-New-1035133. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Enterprise Rent-a-car

AUTHOR: Greg Valentine - ()

I am pleased to report that Enterprise has contacted me and is now withdrawing this claim and refunding the money they charged me for this damage.  It is only fair to come back and report that they responded and did the right thing.

Damage Claim Concern

AUTHOR: Enterprise Rent-A-Car - ()

Dear Greg,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  As customer service is of the utmost importance, we
would like the opportunity to look into this concern for you. Please contact us at care[at]enterprise.com with complete details, including the exact rental location address, your contact information, rental agreement and/or your "DX" or damage claim number and any further information regarding this incident.

When emailing, please list Reference Number 130320-003105 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Amelia
Social Media Coordinator
Enterprise Rent A Car

AUTHOR: Jeanski - ()

I'm sorry that they're taking advantage of you. These scams seem to be proliferating!  I rent cars quite a bit, so I've taken to using my smart phone to make a video of the car before and after rental. I also make sure to capture a picture of the employee I interact with.

I've been fortunate that this hasn't happened to me. But for those of you reading this, perhaps my advice can help.