Complaint Review: Enterprise rent-a-car

• Updated: Tue, March 04, 2014

• Reported By: Shannon — Casper Wyoming
Enterprise rent-a-car
2200 E 2nd St Casper, Wyoming USA

Enterprise rent-a-car Enterprise-rent-a-scam, oops I mean SCAM!!! Casper Wyoming

*UPDATE Employee: Enterprise Cares

Enterprise Rent –A-Scam/Car.

Over the years I have slowly become more and more skeptical of big corporations and how they lack humanity. Many large companies do not have any respect toward an actually breathing, living human being. It seems that the companies think of hard-working people as mere robots with a bank account. Instead of looking at us as people with integrity, intelligence and feelings, we are just another number on a receipt attached to our credit cards. I recently found this to be the case when I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with Enterprise Rent-A-Car in Casper, WY.

In August of 2013 I rented a car because I was t-boned at an intersection. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but the other party involved in the wreck was at fault and ticketed as such. As a result I had to take my damaged truck into the repair shop where it remained for about a week. The other party involved in the wreck had to pay for all damages and for a mode of transportation while my vehicle was in the repair shop. Even though I wasn’t entirely sure I would need the vehicle (we have an extra car), I decided to go ahead and rent the car just in case we ran into a bind. Now I have only rented one other vehicle in my lifetime, so you can say that I was far from experienced with this process. For those of you not aware of what happens when you rent a car, the sales person sets you up with a vehicle. Then you decide if you want insurance and other add-on fees that companies like that love to charge you, knowing good and well that the average Joe doesn’t know what all those fees mean and if the add-ons are necessary. You are required to give the car rental a deposit, your insurance company’s information, your driver’s license information, and your phone number. That is the first part of the scam. Unless you really go through all the paperwork (which is a ton) and the fine print with an attorney or you are an attorney, then you really do not know what you are agreeing to. The sales person may try to explain the paperwork to you, but in all reality the sales person is counting on you to just sign on the dotted line blindly and be oblivious to the consequences.

After you go through all of the legal paperwork, you do a visual inspection of the car with the salesperson. You look for dents/dings and any other oddities that may be present at the time you rent the car. This is the second way they scam you. When I was visually inspecting the car I was looking for completely obvious signs of damage. Not tiny imperfections or scratches. In hindsight, while doing some research on car rental policies and experiences, I found out that you should go over the car, denoting in a notebook ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN SEE OUT OF THE ORDINARY and document with a camera pictures of EVERY detail that you see in your visual inspection. However, the rental companies count on the average person not knowing to do this. Most people when renting a car are going to look at the car, see no obvious signs of damage and wear or tear and sign on the dotted line so they can take the vehicle and use it as needed. Oftentimes, the process of inspecting the car is hurried because the company wants you to hurry through the process for a variety of reasons – they are busy, they want you to overlook any minor scratches, and they really don’t care about you (back to the robot treatment scenario).

After I was through with all the paperwork, visual inspection, and had signed on the dotted line, I left the Enterprise parking lot and headed to my home. That is where the car sat the entire time I had the vehicle in my possession. I did not move the vehicle once until I went to return it to Enterprise. In fact, my total mileage was 11 miles for a little over a week that I had the car. So when I went and returned the vehicle I was shocked to find out that upon another visual inspection by the same salesperson there was suddenly a “scratch” on the front fender of the vehicle. I went and looked at the so called “scratch” on the vehicle; I saw a minor toothpick sized scratch on the fender but nothing that was of concern, so I thought. I knew that it certainly could have been there previously that I may have been overlooked it. I was expecting that the salesperson would think that maybe it was there previously and that it was no big issue. But I was wrong. The next thing I know I had the manager inspecting the vehicle and saying that the “scratch” was not on any prior documentation and that I would either have to file a claim with my insurance company or pay for it out of pocket. When I inquired how much that would cost I was told that they would have to get estimates and let me know. I then proceeded to tell them that I was not paying for that “scratch” and that I did not cause that “scratch.” I told them that the vehicle sat at my house the entire time and that I drove it only 11 miles, which they acknowledged but cast aside as rational and honest thought was replaced with greed. I walked out and never spoke to them again. That is another part of the scam. They plan on you as a customer being upset and not thinking rationally. If I was thinking rationally I would have taken a picture of the so called “scratch.” But they count on you not being able to provide any “proof” or documentation of these false claims made by Enterprise. And I walked to my vehicle without any proof of what this “scratch “really looked like.

In the coming months I was sent paperwork filing a claim with my insurance or paying for the “scratch” out of pocket. But I was never presented with the amount being charged or any of the estimates they may have got. I also received phone calls on my phone at all hours of the day and night from Enterprise. I decided not to respond as I still felt innocent and compelled to take a stand against the bullying tactics of Enterprise. Enterprise knowingly takes advantage of people like me not thoroughly understand and document inspections of rental cars. I felt betrayed by Enterprise and how I was treated and disregarded.

A couple more months passed and I received a call from my insurance agent saying that Enterprise had tried to file a claim in order to collect on this “scratch”. My insurance took a recorded statement from me and denied Enterprise’s claim. The next day I received a bill in the mail from them for $413.00. I could not believe the amount that I was looking at. This is the last part of the scam. They get a repair company to gouge the consumer like myself, so they can drive up the price and charge an exorbitant amount. Enterprise and the repair company can reap the benefits of this scam and move to the next innocent consumer. All the while a person like me suffers mentally and financially from this scam. We are forced to do one of three things. Pay for the damage out of our own pockets, file a claim with our insurance, or not pay and get a ding on our credit report. This hardly seems legal let alone moral. But yet everyday companies such as Enterprise count on the average person to pay up for these ridiculous scams. Because they know that people don’t want to ruin their credit, don’t have the time, and don’t have the financial means to fight with a company like Enterprise. And the more they bully the person with letters and phone calls, the less likely a person is to put up a fight.

As for me, I choose to not be pushed around by corporations like Enterprise. I am standing up for myself and for others who have to endure this treatment from Enterprise. I will never pay them a dime for this absolutely absurd toothpick looking, so-called “scratch.” I know I don’t have a chance against a large corporation like Enterprise. I am just an average person that makes an average living. I have no money for an expensive litigation process, which they would surely force me into if I hired an attorney. So what options does this leave me with? I will inevitably be forced to take a hit on my credit report sometime in the future. But I will gladly do so to keep my sanity, integrity, and morals intact. I will be able to say that I stood up to a company, like Enterprise, that tried to bully me into paying them. I know that in schools we are trying to keep other children from being bullied, but often times we never look at companies, such as Enterprise, in the same way but we should. I never was bullied by a child like I have been by Enterprise. The only difference between Enterprise and a thief is that Enterprise has tax I.D. number and a logo attached to it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/04/2014 08:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Enterprise-rent-a-car/Casper-Wyoming-82609/Enterprise-rent-a-car-Enterprise-rent-a-scam-oops-I-mean-SCAM-Casper-Wyoming-1128363. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Enterprise rent-a-car

Enterprise Cares

AUTHOR: Enterprise Rent-A-Car - ()

Shannon,

We’ve notice your comments and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send a detailed email to care@enterprise.com including the exact rental location information, your contact information, your rental agreement or reservation number and any further information regarding your experience with us.

When emailing, please reference Number 140307-001911 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully, Carol H.