Complaint Review: Entertainment Advertising

• Submitted: Wed, January 20, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, October 07, 2011

• Reported By: Joe — Livonia Michigan United States of America
Entertainment Advertising
31041 Schoolcraft Rd. Suite B - upstairs Livonia, Michigan United States of America

Entertainment Advertising Entertainment Advertising Inc, Brad Rice Scam, Pyramid Scheme, Do not apply for jobs there and if you do not go to the interview Livonia, Michigan

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Both are right.....

*Consumer Comment: Not a Scam! Real life Marketing Firm

I recently applied for a job at a company called Entertainment Advertising in Livonia, MI.  The job posting which was on careerbuilder.com seemed legit and very interesting.  They tried to lure people in by saying stuff like no experience neccessary, you would be involved with sports advertising and marketing of professional teams in the area, country clubs, basically anything that someone right out of college would find interesting.

Then they bring you in to their office for an interview which they try to schedule that same day or the next day.  The office is run down but the excuse is that they just moved there and opened that office.  I waited in the "waiting room" or whatever you would call it for the owner to come out.  His name is Brad Rice.  He seemed like a good guy and gave a description of the company similar to the job post which got me even more excited.  Then they asked me back for a second interview/job shadow the next day and asked me to clear my schedule for the whole day from 8 - 6.  I am also told that by the end of the day I will be required to make my decision on whether or not I want to accept the position or not (pending an offer).

At this point I am excited about everything and when I get home and am asked what the job entails and I realize I couldn't fully answer. Well the reason is because I was never told.  Brad tried to tell me as much as he could without telling me exactly what I personally would have to do.  All I knew was that everyone starts out doing the exact same thing.

The next day comes and I wake up still excited and put on my nice Ralph Lauren suit and my nice dress shoes and go in for what I figured to be a day in the office learning about the operations of the company.  When I arrive I am asked to fill and sign a piece of paper that had a few paragraphs on it about how I am not an employee and what not, which was probably a hidden waiver and then waited about 20 minutes.  Finally the leader that is going to be "showing me around" comes out and introduces himself with Brad and they send us out the door.  Keep in mind I still do not know what is going on.  I find out that we are going to be traveling to businesses to talk to them about our product.  I figure we are going to scheduled appointments at offices, man was I wrong.

The next 8 hours of my life were complete hell.  I get in the car and find out we are selling pistons tickets door to door in the ghetto of outside Detroit.  I also find out that this job pays 100% commission, they don't pay for your gas, and they do not have any benefits.  At this point I am stuck in the car driving farther and farther from where my car was.  Needless to say it was 9 am and I was already furious.  We arrive and park in the middle of no where and start walking down the street in my nice clothes.  We walked over 6 miles total that day and went into every single business that we came across unannounced.

We went in gas stations, strip clubs, diners, restaurants, fast food restaurants, grocery stores, dentists, optometrists, mechanics, anything you can think of literally we went to between the hours of 9 and 6. I debated having someone come and pick me up but out of principle I decided to stick through the day and just be a man.  When the day was over we drove back to the office where I met with Brad again.

I find out that my leader had given me a good recommendation (big surprise...not) and that I had been offered a position.  I already knew I didn't want to take the job but didn't want to tell this guy to his face.  I told him I couldn't make my decision today because I had to think about the 100% commission aspect of it.  Lets just say he was more than rude after that getting very defensive about everything.  I stayed as professional as I could as I told him we should part ways here and thanked him for the opportunity.  If i had it my way I would have left him laying on the ground with a broken nose, but luckily I have restraint.

By the end of the day my feet were blistered, my shoes were ruined, and I was very unhappy.  I just wanted to share this with anyone who will read it just so they can avoid making the same mistake that I did.  There are similar posts for a company called Boss Advertising, now known as DB advertising out of Auburn Hills, MI.  I had an interview scheduled there but luckily never had to go after this experience.  They do the exact same thing as this company and have caused people just as many problems as they did myself.  Please take the time to read the posts on Boss Advertising and DB Advertising and know that it will be the same at Entertainment Advertising.  Hope this helps!

Joe
Livonia, MI

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/20/2010 08:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Entertainment-Advertising/Livonia-Michigan-48150/Entertainment-Advertising-Entertainment-Advertising-Inc-Brad-Rice-Scam-Pyramid-Scheme-D-557217. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Entertainment Advertising

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Both are right.....

AUTHOR: JJ - (United States of America)

As a former employee of this company, I can honestly say that both people are correct.  It's true, you work ungodly hours, go to EVERY business, walk door to door in 90 degree summers and -30 degree winters, get paid solely on commission, and have no benefits or reimbursements whatsoever.

This was the first job I got started at after I graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Communications in 2010.  I worked there for about a half a year, and while it was the hardest and most demanding thing I've ever done in my life, there truly is no cap to how well you can do there.  I learned more in those few months about business and what it takes to be successful than I have in any other similar amount of time.  I was the #1 salesman in the whole "father" company (ADS), which means across the US.  I broke records at that company, and on average made about $200 a day there.  I lived in a posh apartment downtown (I worked at the Milwaukee branch) which was over $1,000 a month, and aside from the fact that I never got to enjoy anything social because I was always at work, monetarily it was great.  One day I broke the daily record, making over $500 in a single day of work.

It is also just as bad as everyone makes it seem.  While there is a lot of opportunity to make money in that company if you're willing to stay positive and persevere, there is no long-term opportunity.  It is a dying industry, and they cannot compete with companies such as Groupon and Living Social, who offer the same deals without having to pay salesmen a commission to go face-to-face and present them to their target markets.  There were several people who got promoted to manager when I was with the company, some who even moved across the country, only to lose all their money, be unable to build a team, and were forced to come back within a matter of months, or even months.

10 years ago, this company was an innovative leader in the sales and advertising industry - unfortunately that is not the case now.  You will learn so much from working here, including perseverence, maintaining a positive attitude no matter what, self-motivation, and leadership.  This is a good opportunity for someone who has the talent for sales (and no, not everyone does.  Do not work here unless you are a good people person.  Since it is purely commission, if you go out and work a 10 hour day and don't make any money, too bad.), but it is not good for anything longer than a few months to make some cash, in my opinion.  Yes, it looks good on a resume, because it's not hard to work your way to a "top sales person" in your office, and you do work with LOCAL FRANCHISE "big shots" like restaurants, golf courses, and salons and spas, however there is absolutely no opportunity for advancement.  You won't last.  Believe me.  I don't say this to toot my own horn, but I was the top sales person that any branch had across the country, and it wasn't a good enough opportunity for me.

Realistically, it's not as bad as everyone makes it seem SHORT TERM, if you're good at sales and a fast learner.  Realistically, (aiming this comment to the person who most recently responded), it's also not as GOOD as an opportunity as they make it seem.  They are very good a hyping things up and making it seem very glamorous, but it's not.  you are a door to door salesman, working through all conditions, 60-80 hours a week.  Let me tell you something, out of the 7 people we had in our office at any given time, I was the only one who could maintain above a 5 pc average (meaning selling more than 5 certificates/coupons a day).  I know doing more than 5 doesn't seem like a lot (I averaged 15), but just wait until you're knocking on people's doors in the ghetto trying to sell them a $30 coupon book when they can't even afford to pay their light bill.

In a nutshell, it is the best opportunity to make some major instant cash if you have the skills, and it is also the hardest and most dead end job you'll ever work in your life.

Not a Scam! Real life Marketing Firm

AUTHOR: Mark W. - (United States of America)

Dear Joe,

Youre an idiot!  I also saw an ad for Entertainment Advertising and called to book an interview with them as well.  When I saw your posting here I became very skeptical but I still went in for my preliminary interview to see what was up and expose the frauds.

I was greeted by a bubbly administrator and then sat down with one of the managers.  He was a sharp guy and seemed very genuine.  I listened to what he had to say and it all made sense.  Now, I have been doing Advertising & Media sales for the last 8-9 years so sales dont intimidate me.  He told me it was B2B sales and it was performance based compensation.  What do you think that means?  It means you go Business to Business and you get paid based on what you sell.  In this economy 75% of all companies doing sales are performance based compensation.  Why wouldnt they be with 20% unemployment in Metro Detroit.  Jobs are scarce so employers have the upperhand.  They arent  going to overpay for a position when they have people lined up to take it.

Joe (probably not your real name), you have a few flaws in your story.  You said they invited you in for a job shadow to show you what they do.  If the company was really trying to hide something or pull one over on you do you really think theyd let you spend a whole day observing? No.  Its to weed out the weak people who arent willing to work hard or do that specific job.  I did a job shadow with Hewlett Packard.  A lot of fortune 500 companies do this.  I wish that in all the years I trained other people for other companies (radio stations & TV stations) on how to do sell advertising they would have done that.  You get so many cocky guys right out of college who have never had a real job who think they know it all because they took a class from a professor who has never actually worked in the workforce before and they waste your time.  I spent countless hours training newhires  who knew nothing about sales but were hired from a resume or an interview.  A job shadow would have gotten rid of most of them.

(2nd) major problem.  You mentioned the Detroit Pistons.  I called the Palace and yes they do work with Pistons.  Dont you really think that an NBA franchise would do a little research on the companies that represent them?  I do.  They cant be too shady then.  From what Im told they also have account with Radisson, Hungry Howies, Embassy Suites, & the Detroit Tigers.  Pretty legit if you ask me.  Maybe not cut out for sales but that isnt the argument.

(3rd) problem .  You said you knew you didnt want the position at the end of the day but didnt want to tell the person to his face.  You just confirmed why they do the job shadow.  You want to punch a guy out because he told you in the morning you would have to make an immediate decision but you dont have the balls to tell him to his face youre not interested.

Dude, get over it!  Its a job interview.  If you dont like it move on and dont cry about it.  Be happy you found out right away it wasnt something you wanted instead of getting hired and having to quit later.  That looks worse.

I could be wrong but you probably just graduated from college.  You think your Degree is sooooo important and that youre going to be a hot commodity in the job market.  Maybe 6 months from now when youre still looking for a job, still living in your parents basement, still wearing your Ralf Lauren suit that you will realize that life is hard enough without crying over a job interview.

Needless to say:  this is a legit business that is looking for sales people.  Just like all of the other companies out there trying to survive in a down economy.  I kept waiting for something shady & it never happened.

Hopefully I get invited back for a job shadow.  Good Luck.

-Mark W.