Complaint Review: Epic Pain Management

• Updated: Mon, November 21, 2011

• Reported By: NewJerseyMom — Cedar Grove New Jersey United States of America
Epic Pain Management
Wayne, Saddle Brook, Ramsey, Montville, New Jersey United States of America

Epic Pain Management Amit Gowswami, M.D. Medical bait and switch scam. False Advertising, Wayne, Saddle Brook, Ramsey, Montville , New Jersey

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Are we Medical Bait and a Switch Scam ?

Warning; Do NOT go to Dr. Goswami or anyone associated with the Epic Pain Management Insititute. I have chronic and degenerative back problems. I have been on carefully monitored pain medication for many years and I, like many others need this medication to function.

My longtime physician retired and I went to this place after much research. I spoke to the people in the office at length and gave them extensive information on my condition, supplied my previous prescriptions, test results, insurance info., etc. They assured me that the Doctor would help me and continue with the regimen of treatment that has been working for me. The website listed several courses of treatment available and included in that was the medications that I was currently prescibed.

I got to the office to find it packed with patients who like myself, were there for the first time. Obviously everyone who was there also suffered disorders which required pain management. Normal everyday people, like myself, who are just in need of proper meds.

The staff there immediately demanded that I pay $350 up front just in order to see the doctor. When I finally met with the doctor, he completely disregarded my requests for continuing my present course of treatment. Instead he refused to give me meds and insisted that I submit to a treament of needles in my back which were extremely exspenive. Even though I told him and had documenttation that injection treatment had been tried and didn't work for me, he refused to do anything else for me, treating me like is was some kind of drug addict! When I told him that I wouldn't have come if the people I had talked to hadn't promised me that he would prescribe my meds, he replied in a very nasty way, "Those people aren't doctors. Do you see any doctors around here besides me? I'm the only one who tells you what the treament will be."

Needless to say I was furious and asked for a refund since I wouldn't be treated and I was basically told "You're out of luck". Looking back I now understand the scam here and why everyone in the waiting room were first time patients. They get people in, take their $350 and then show them the door when those people don't want needle treatments. Even though it clearly states on their website the first pain management treatment option listed is medication, they would rather force people to take costly injections or nothing.

I am completely disgusted with this deceitful practice and I feel sorry for anyone who is a naive as I was to believe that they would get what was promised. They clearly are just in this to take advantage of people who are in debilitatiing pain and desperate for help. Shame on you, Epic Pain Management and shame on you, "Doctor" Goswami! What a disgrace to the medical profession.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/17/2011 12:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Epic-Pain-Management/Wayne-Saddle-Brook-Ramsey-Montville-New-Jersey-/Epic-Pain-Management-Amit-Gowswami-MD-Medical-bait-and-switch-scam-False-Advertising-799098. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Epic Pain Management

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Are we Medical Bait and a Switch Scam ?

AUTHOR: Epic Pain Management - (United States of America)

I am Amit Goswami, MD, Epic Pain Management. I am double board certified by American Board of Anesthesiology with Sub speciality Boards in Interventional Pain Medicine. I have been practicing since 2005 after my fellowship training from Ivy League hospitals like Cornell, Columbia, Hospital of Special Surgery and Cleveland Clinic.

Its unfortunate when patients are disgruntled. Pain medicine is a medical speciality and pain management physicians are like any other physicians. I want to treat and help the patients who suffer from Chronic pain. Therefore all patients undergo a full history and physical by myself and not a physician assistant or a nurse practitioner. Thereafter I decide upon a treatment plan by providing the available treatment options.

Due to the nature of the practice its unavoidable to have certain patients, who are set in their ideas of treatment. These patients demand that I prescribe them ridiculously high doses of opioids which they might or might not have been prescribed from another physician. I try my best to educate patients that chronic pain is treated by a multidisciplinary approach and not just by a certain kind of opioid in large quantities.

Some patients come with a preconceived notion that if they are paying a consultation fee of $350 for doctors visit, then they are entitled to get a prescription of opioid of their choice. Consultation charge is for the consultation, exam and treatment plan and not a exchange for the number of pain killers. I tell these patients that I am not licensed drug peddler.

My goal is treat patients with chronic pain with a combination of treatment modalities which can include different type pain medicines and not just opioids. I also offer patients several different kinds of injections and other minimally invasive procedures based on latest research. I practice ' Evidence Based medicine ' which means that I review the latest peer reviewed journals and keep up to date with latest treatment options.

The warning in this disgruntled patients complaint is appropriate. If patients want to get better and they want to break the chronic pain cycle, if patients are looking for state of art medical care from physician who is available 24/7 , then please call our office. If you are dependent on a certain opioid then find a Addiction Specialist.