scholarship

• Submitted: Tue, February 17, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, February 17, 2009

• Reported By:Ashland Massachusetts
EquiFax Credit Reporting Service
equifax.com Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

EquiFax Credit Reporting Service Erroneous negative credit information Atlanta Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Because all they do is ask the poster to verify - and they resend the same bogus information

In the past year I have had 3 separate accounts put on my credit history by EquiFax that have nothing to do with me. The companies reporting the information are some of the notorious collection agencies that are written about all over this website and others.

My complaint is this. Why is there not a standard of care that EquiFax needs to follow in reporting negative information on my credit history? I am also curious that Transunion and Experian are not reporting the same negative accounts so they must be following a different process or they don't accept reporting from companies that do not exercise proper care.

The first two items I put in dispute with EquiFax and they were removed but the process took almost 60 days. The third item is new and I just put it into a dispute status. I am irritated that I have to police my account so closely.

What standards are followed by EquiFax when posting an account to my history? They should have to have absolute proof that the account is mine by matching name, address, phone number and social security number before they are allowed to state an account was mine. They should also have proof from the company reporting the information that they have followed the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I never received any notice from anyone that my credit history was going to have this information reported. Unfortunately EquiFax does not allow you to make contact with a person. Every number I have tried is an automated phone system that does not provide an option to speak with anyone at EquiFax related to my complaint. I called my state consumer affairs dept and they said they have phone #'s for Experian and Transunion but not for EquiFax. So I filed a complaint with the FTC against both EquiFax and ANSI, Inc. the collection agent.

I also contacted ANSI, Inc. They said they needed the account # to research it. But EquiFax does not provide the full account #. They truncate the last 4 digits. So ANSI, Inc. said there was nothing they could do. Isn't it sweet that these two companies can operate so negligently and I have to do all the work to get it fixed. I also noticed several posts on the internet about ANSI, Inc. erroneously reporting accounts on other people's credit histories. How doe they get away with this?

Jem
Ashland, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2009 09:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/EquiFax-Credit-Reporting-Service/Atlanta-Georgia/EquiFax-Credit-Reporting-Service-Erroneous-negative-credit-information-Atlanta-Georgia-424995. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on EquiFax Credit Reporting Service

AUTHOR: Laurie - (U.S.A.)

SmartMoney magazine has an article about why they do not correct the bogus info. They do very little to verify at all.

(((Redacted)))