Complaint Review: Equifax Credit Bureau

• Submitted: Mon, March 15, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, November 16, 2004

• Reported By:Oldsmar Florida
Equifax Credit Bureau
PO Box 105873 Internet U.S.A.

Equifax Credit Bureau ripoff the Erroneous Credit Reporting Agency Tampa Florida

*Consumer Comment: THEY GET AWAY WITH IT ALL THE TIME

I have been trying for the past two years to clear up a paid off collection and my payment history with my two credit card companies (Fleet and Discover). I received letters from both companies stating that I have never been late with their company. For example, I called Discover to dispute the lates on my credit report (july of 2002). I had them fax and send me a letter stating that my account with them was never late. I then sent the letter to Equifax to dispute the claim. They then sent me back a few months later a revised credit report showing no lates, then a year later I pulled my credit report (I work as a mortgage broker so I have access to my own report) to find that my Discover account has the same report.

This seems completely assinine. As a mortgage broker and consumer, we are at the mercy of these reporting agencies, and their accuracy in reporting. If I can dispute paid collections and late payment history, which is so easily done with hard paperwork from the orginial creditors or collectors, then why do I find it very disturbing that the same erroneous report is being shown today. This has caused me to miss my window of opportunity for buying a home with the best possible loan program.

As of 3/10/2004, both accounts from Fleet and Discover, as well as a paid collection, is not showing being paid off when I sent them via fax and mail that these accounts are reporting wrong and all collections are paid. Lenders and banks need these companies to report correctly because it is causing lost business. There is got to be something us consumer can do to repair or fight with these reporting agencies. If anyone has any information on how to pursue a suit against these companies, please contact me by using the rebuttal box below.

CLICK here to see why we deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.

Michael
Oldsmar, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2004 03:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Equifax-Credit-Bureau/internet/Equifax-Credit-Bureau-ripoff-the-Erroneous-Credit-Reporting-Agency-Tampa-Florida-83958. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Equifax Credit Bureau

THEY GET AWAY WITH IT ALL THE TIME

AUTHOR: Teresa - (U.S.A.)

I CAME TO THIS SIGHT AFTER WORKING FOR SEVEN HOURS IN ONE DAY TRYING TO ASSIST A CONSUMER IN GETTING AN ERRONEOUS CHARGE OFF REMOVED FROM THEIR CREDIT FILE AT EQUIFAX.

AFTER WORKING WITH CREDITORS FOR YEARS (I TOO AM A MORTGAGE BROKER) I DISCOVERED THAT EVEN IF THE CREDITOR TRIES TO CORRECT THE ERROR THE CREDIT BUREAU THEMSELVES ADVISES THEY ARE JUDGE AND JURY AS TO WHETHER THEY WILL REMOVE THE ERRONEOUS RATING.

THEY HAVE BUSINESS TO BUSINESS NUMBERS FOR VERIFYING INFO GIVEN TO DISPUTE ACCOUNTS, BUT THOSE NUMBERS ARE NOT TO BE GIVEN TO CONSUMERS .

IT IS INSANE THAT THESE CREDIT BUREAUS ARE ALLOWED TO AFFECT PEOPLES LIVES IN SUCH NEGATIVE WAYS AND IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE.

THIS HORRIBLE SYSTEM WILL GET WORSE WITH IDENTITY THEFT ISSUES COMING DOWN THE LINE AND BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO GET AWAY WITH THEIR NON-RESPONSIVE TACTICS FOR SO LONG , IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ANY CORRECTIONS DONE. AND THEY DONT CARE AND ARE NOT ACCOUNTABLE TO ANYONE EVIDENTLY.