Complaint Review: Equifax

• Submitted: Fri, December 28, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, December 29, 2012

• Reported By: Smave — Yucca Valley California U.S.A.
Equifax
1550 Peachtree Street Atlanta, Georgia United States of America

Equifax Registered by opening an email Atlanta, Georgia

*Author of original report: To Ken

*Consumer Comment: The Credit Bureaus Have very deceptive marketing..

*Consumer Comment: If they did as you say....

I received an email from either Equifax or a company representing themselves as Equifax. When I opened the email it apparently signed me up for their monthly service which reports any inquiries etc. for a initial charge of $19.95 which appeared as a recurring charge on my bank statement. If I did not check my account online on the same day as the charge it may have gone unnoticed until I received my statement a month from now.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2012 05:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Equifax/Atlanta-Georgia-/Equifax-Registered-by-opening-an-email-Atlanta-Georgia-988361. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Equifax

To Ken

AUTHOR: Smave - (U.S.A.)

I am not sure that it was the email that signed me up. However, I have never before visited the Equifax website so the email I received was the only limited contact I have had with Equifax. In addition ALL of the three credit reporting agencies have your social security number. I did purchase a car recently and since the money was taken out of my checking account all they needed was my routing number and account number in addition to any other personal information they already have on file.

The Credit Bureaus Have very deceptive marketing..

AUTHOR: LD - (United States of America)

I believe what you are saying about Equifax because I have been on their site and they employ very deceptive marketing. If you are not careful you will have signed up for a monthly subscription. They also sell your information to marketers. All the credit bureaus do it. I recently read a story about a woman being sent a lot of flyers from mortgage lenders wanting her to finance a home through them as she had very good credit. They knew her credit score and very personal information although she had never heard of the companies. She found out somehow that these people can pay the credit bureaus to send over lists of folks with good credit and other demographics about them. She was livid. Our personal information is not safe anymore and congress needs to act.

If they did as you say....

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

"Equifax  Registered by opening an email "

How in the world did they get your billing information?

You aren't leaving some details out are you?

"..it apparently signed me up for their monthly service.."

Not quite sure how the e-mail signed you up AND gave your billing information...please explain.