Complaint Review: Equitable Acceptance Corporation/Simplicity Gourmet

• Submitted: Mon, August 03, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, January 19, 2013

• Reported By:Lawton Oklahoma
Equitable Acceptance Corporation/Simplicity Gourmet
P.O. Box 27007 Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.
  • Phone: 763-797-0241
  • Web:
  • Category: Loans

Equitable Acceptance Corporation/Simplicity Gourmet Mostly rude phone calls, fees for online payments, changing of payment amounts... Minneapolis Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: The BBB Is A CONGAME!

*UPDATE Employee: Good Business with an A+ Rating at the BBB

I too ws "duped" by Simplicity Gourmet's promises of amazing cookware and a great vacation. Not only that, but I was promised dinner, which did not happen. I suppose that and the slightly seedy location of the demonstration should have been a clue, but I was curious and I love to cook, so I wanted to see what they had to offer. The pricing was outrageous, but I sincerely believed that the product would be worth the $1500 worth of pots and pans we signed up for.

First of all, our payments were supposed to be around $32 a month, and lo and behold, I was informed 6 months into payments that they would be changing to $62 a month and that I couldn't get my cookware until a percentage of my balance due was paid off. At this point, I knew I'd been sucked into something, so I made sure I got my cookware. The only problems I have had with the cookware has been with dishes requiring eggs. I have been mostly happy with cooking meats, sauces, soups, etc., but the price was definitely not worth it. You do have to use a lower heat setting with stainless surgical steel, which I was familiar with. The couple presenting our demonstration were charismatic and from my husband's hometown, although we did not know them, but we felt comfortable with them nonetheless, so we made a custom package.

I never got to take advantage of the honeymoon package, due to military obligations, but it seems from other peoples' observations that the package is nothing special.

Throughout my dealings with Equitable Acceptance, I have had some very nice people on the phone and some down right nasty individuals. I will be paying off in a lump sum this week and I hope to rid myself of their tactics and attitude problems. I only hope I can get my credit report to say a zero balance and rid myself from them completely, or they will be hearing from the United States JAG Office.

Esrogue1
Lawton, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/03/2009 05:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Equitable-Acceptance-CorporationSimplicity-Gourmet/Minneapolis-Minnesota/Equitable-Acceptance-CorporationSimplicity-Gourmet-Mostly-rude-phone-calls-fees-for-onli-476117. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Equitable Acceptance Corporation/Simplicity Gourmet

The BBB Is A CONGAME!

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

Without regard to the contractual issues here...lets set the record straight regarding the BBB.  The BBB is NOT part of ANY government agency.  The BBB has ZERO enforcement powers and ZERO ability to force any business to do anything.

The reason any business has a BBB "membership" is because THEY PAID for it.  The reason any business may have a so-called "accreditation" is because THEY PAID for it.  The reason any business has whatever WORTHLESS "rating" they have is because THEY PAID for it.  The BBB will SELL these WORTHLESS "ratings" to anybody who wants one.  It is EXACTLY like someone who will SELL you a fake diploma to hang on your wall.  It may look good but its entirely WORTHLESS.  Legitimate business people are well aware of the BBB SCAM and how many disreputable businesses will hide behind the BBB SMOKESCREEN.

Check youtube for "BBB Scam".  You will see the investigative report where some reporters formed a "business", named it "Hamas" (a middle east terrorist organization) then BOUGHT and PAID FOR their PHONEY BBB "accreditation"!

The BBB is a SCAM!!!

Good Business with an A+ Rating at the BBB

AUTHOR: waterless customer - (United States of America)

Thank you for your business.  I am an employee of Simplicity Gourmet and work in customer service.  I am happy to hear cooking meats and vegetables are working well for you and overall you are pleased with your purchase.  It sounds like you have had a couple of trouble spots though, so let me try and assist you with those things.

Eggs are one of the most common areas new customers have trouble with (if they have trouble at all).  The cookware heats very quickly and heats very efficiently.  We always recommend cooking eggs on medium heat.  We also recommend using a non stick cooking spray.  If your eggs are sticking, the heat is too high.

And because every stove cooks differently, this causes the egg problem.  Some stoves just cook hotter than average, especially gas stoves.  I am pretty sure you will get much better results by turning your burner to medium, if you have been cooking hotter than that.  If your stove cooks hotter than average, you may need to cook at medium low.  The good news is, you will cook in the same amount of time and use less energy from your stove.

Once you have any burns or residues in your pan, it is important to clean all the residue away before another attempt.  If soap and water doesn't do the trick, use stainless steel cleanser.  We have Essentials Stainless Cleanser available for purchase.  You can also find Bar Keepers Friend or Bon Ami in the grocery store in the cleaning section.  The cost is minimal at $3-6 per can.  The cans will last 6+ months under normal cooking conditions.  Simply, wet your pan and pour off excess water.  Sprinkle in the powder stainless steel cleanser.  Then use the scrubby side of the wet sponge (inside the pan).  Scrub in circular motions, creating a paste with the cleanser.  Rinse your pan well.  It should look virtually new then.

As far as the payments changing, that happens through the finance company.  It is stated clearly on the contract, that if there is still a balance after one year, your minimum monthly payments will double.  You are even required to initial on your contract that you understand that your payments will double.    I am really sorry that you had forgotten that somehow, but we can always provide you with an additional copy of your contract. Not only is that part initialed by you on your contract, but Equitable Acceptance Corporation goes over that with you on the phone as well before your order is approved to make sure you understand.

As far as not receiving your cookware until you had paid a certain portion, that is not the norm.  Most customers get their products within a couple of weeks.  The only time that is different is if a customer does not qualify for traditional financing.  When you do not qualify for traditional financing, everyone can qualify for a second chance finance.  You signed that form at the time of your order too.  You receive copies of 3 forms: your order form, revolving credit form, and ECP-second chance finance form.  The ECP clearly states you must make 3 on time monthly investments and take care of 20% of your balance before your products ship.  This is a good faith effort that shows you are committed to taking care of the loan.

If you need additional copies of your contract please call us in customer service at 1-866-897-7676.  Also, if you need any assistance with cooking or cleaning, please let us know.  We also have recipes, etc we can email you free of charge.  And of course you do have a lifetime warranty on your cookware, so if you ever have a handle break, or whistle, etc. please give us a call so we can get it fixed for you.  We look forward to hearing from you.

decisions