Complaint Review: Erlanger Veterinary Hospital

• Updated: Tue, February 18, 2014

• Reported By: Elder Lady — lakeside park Kentucky
Erlanger Veterinary Hospital
3414 Dixie Highway Erlanger, Kentucky USA

Erlanger Veterinary Hospital Tony Shumann Stanley Hastings They saw us coming Erlanger Kentucky

My son and I took our pet dog to Erlanger Veterinary  Hospital for a second opinion.  Our vet had told us that our pet dog possibly had cancer. We thought it would be a good idea to get a second opinion and see if there was anything else that we could do to justify our vet's opinion. I made an appointment with Erlanger Veterinary Hospital and was told that a second opinion would cost $54 dollars.  The vet, Shumsnn, suggested an ultra sound and we agreed and were NOT told the cost.  We waited in a room and when he returned, we lead to another room where we were reunited with our pet. The vet Shumann who we had never see before that day, dimmed the lights and showed us a blac and white screen.  He began by telling us while pointing to a portion of the screen that  was our pet's spleen. he began talking about it and I interrupted and said "he can live without a spleen" and then he went on to say look at this which is his liver on another part of screen and shows cancer!  He then told us to look at our pet and see that he was miserable. Our dog was standing by a door and he looked very skinny and his ears were back and his tail was down. it was a very sad site for us. the vet suggested euthanization.  i told the Shumann, the vet that I had hamburger for our pet at home.  He then said that he would leave the room for us to talk.When he came back, i said 'I can't do this" and left the room.  I never thought  for a one minute that by getting a  a second equaled me leaving without my pet.  This was not my normal vet and he had not suggested putting my pet to sleep!

After i left the room vet Shumann convinced my son to go ahead with his recommendation and my son agreed. My son held my pet while according to my son the vet gave him a shot and claimed that our pet was gone.   My son said that he was crying and called our pet's name and our pet rolled his eyes and looked at  my son!  My son said it was more like an execution! The vet then told my son that they would creamate our petand my son agreed. This was January 25, 2014 and snow was falling and was one of the worst snowfall in years that year.  i guess  the vet left and my son came out in tears.  I was in shock and realized that we had been sold a bill of goods by this vet that was going to only have one chance with our pet!   The bill that i thought would have been reasonable was $54.86 for physical exam-$296.65= ultrasound=$55.60=euthanasia-$40.45=beuthanasia injection=$$86 cremation 20-69# Totaling $533.55 and then gave us a $55.60 discount! Total cost$477.95!  Since i didn't have that kind of money, through the tears I aske if i could post date a check until February 3 2014. After  realizing what just happened a few days later I emailed Erlanger Veterinary Hospital and told them how I felt.  At some point Erlanger Veterinary hospital sent me a paw print of my pet( Broly )and also a sympathy card. I would never go back to them again. I believe that they are a bunch of money hungry. non caring people who saw their chance and took advantage of it.  They took advantage of us and euthanized our pet that they never even knew(Broly or us). Our hearts are hearts are  broken

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2014 01:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Erlanger-Veterinary-Hospital/Erlanger-Kentucky-41018/Erlanger-Veterinary-Hospital-Tony-Shumann-Stanley-Hastings-They-saw-us-coming-Erlanger-Ken-1123985. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Erlanger Veterinary Hospital