Complaint Review: Esther S, Rubin, dds.mph

• Updated: Wed, February 23, 2011

• Reported By: Anne — New York New York United States of America
Esther S, Rubin, dds.mph
18 East 48 St #1101 New York, New York United States of America

Esther S, Rubin, dds.mph Unsatisfactory and harmful treatment. The public should be protected from predatory dentists like her. New York, New York

If you visit dentist Esther S. Rubin, hang on to your wallet and your teeth. I first saw Dr. Rubin on October 25, 2010. Previous x-rays showed 2 teeth with tiny cavities, although I was asymptomatic.  Dr. Rubin took a new and “complete” set of x-rays, $245.00, and $175.00 for the evaluation.   At my next visit, however, she recommended more x-rays, although the previous x-rays were supposed to have been a complete set!

She then recommended porcelain onlays for three teeth, # 5, 31 and 32 at a cost of $1,995.00 each. The two teeth in my lower right jaw were the wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it.  It was only later that  I  learned that the treatment she recommended for these  teeth, located at the back of my mouth,  was unnecessary; composite fillings would have been sufficient. These teeth, after all, are not really visible, even when I smiled.

But, of course, she could not have charged as much for simple fillings.  On November 8, 2010 she injected the upper and lower gums twice in rapid succession, without waiting for the first injection to take effect. She even indicated that there should be an extra charge for the anesthesia!  She drilled # 5, 31 and 32 and placed temporary fillings in each.  I was then asked to pay in full, and after a very upsetting discussion I reluctantly gave her $ 3,000.00.

When I returned on November 18, 2010, she placed two porcelain onlays, one on #31 and one on #32.  However, she cemented the teeth so close together that I was unable to floss in that area, and while trying to force the space open she cut the corner of my right lip.  But even worse, while I had no symptoms before this “treatment,” I am painfully sensitive to heat and cold in that area to this day.

It has become apparent that I may need some extensive and costly revision because of her unnecessary and harmful treatment.   But that is only the beginning.  At the same visit she told me that the porcelain onlay for tooth #5 in the upper right jaw did not fit well and she would return it to the lab.  She refilled the tooth with a temporary filling. She then again demanded payment of the $ 2,985.00 balance with the ultimatum that if I did not pay, she would not finish the work and would not ask the lab for a new onlay.

I told her that I had already overpaid and until the job was completed, I was not going to pay anymore.  Were her priorities on my well-being or in getting paid?   Very distraught at the kind of treatment and attitude I was experiencing, I went to get another opinion the next day.  The two new dentists I visited were very concerned about what they were seeing in the upper tooth, and recommended that I see an endodontist as soon as possible.

I did so, and was told the following: “There is extensive breakdown and destruction of the tooth and only a thin shell of enamel remained, with necrotic material within, leaving little support for anything but a post and crown; the tooth was non-vital, and only a root canal, post, and crown could save the tooth.  If a porcelain onlay had been placed, the tooth would have soon collapsed.”

While working on my #5 tooth, Dr. Rubin knew, or should have known, its true condition!  After the root canal treatment, I shortly thereafter went to another dentist for the post and crown. On December 23, 2010 we sent a letter to Dr Rubin stating our disappointment and frustration at the inappropriate and harmful treatment she gave me and the extra thousands of dollars it was costing me, yet Dr. Rubin had the audacity to send me a bill demanding immediate payment.

Dr. Rubin’s unsatisfactory and harmful treatment has caused me pain, suffering and mental anguish.  It appears that charging exorbitant fees and getting paid for unnecessary and harmful treatment is her first priority, and the welfare of her patients a distant second.  The public should be protected from predatory dentists like Dr. Esther S. Rubin.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/23/2011 10:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Esther-S-Rubin-ddsmph/New-York-New-York-10017/Esther-S-Rubin-ddsmph-Unsatisfactory-and-harmful-treatment-The-public-should-be-prote-698892. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Esther S, Rubin, dds.mph