Complaint Review: Expedia travel

• Updated: Thu, October 16, 2003

• Reported By:Charleston Or
Expedia travel
, U.S.A.

Expedia travel dishonest ripoffs evil dirt bags false promises

*Consumer Comment: not trying to defend expedia because every case is different

*Consumer Comment: Get what you pay for

*Consumer Comment: Expedia tickets

*Consumer Comment: ..I will not use them again...

*Consumer Suggestion: Why you were sent paper tickets

*Consumer Comment: An E Ticket is an Electronic Ticket ...

ordered & received 2 oneway tickets for my son & friend...they are flying from Tx to Or to drive a UHaul to Florida, then another ticket from Fl back to Tx.. cause the tickets were charged on my charge card they would not accept e tickets, they all had to be mailed @14.95 each... that's X 4...!!!!

they could of been combined and only been charged X 2, should not of been charged at all as they were reserved 3 1/2 in advance, plenty of time to check whatever they wanted to check

Coos Bay, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/28/2002 01:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Expedia-travel//Expedia-travel-dishonest-ripoffs-evil-dirt-bags-false-promises-21659. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Expedia travel

not trying to defend expedia because every case is different

AUTHOR: Derek - (U.S.A.)

I'm not trying to defend expedia because every case is different. I had a wonderful experenice with them. I book a round trip ticket and hotel to miami. I was suppose to arrive in miami around 2 olock, but my plane got delayed in atlanta. I didn't get to miami until 6 olock. When I got there to my suprise my hotel room had been upgraded to a suite overlooking the ocean. All because my plane was delayed.

Get what you pay for

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

You made the comment about NO TRAVEL AGENT was able to meet or beat the price Expedia charged you. Well one of the reasons Expedia is cheaper is they add on those 14.95 fees and such. That is PURE PROFIT for them. I always say "You get what you pay for" and you tried to save a few $$$ and paid for it in additional fees. So dont complain when they Nickel & Dime you to death with additional fees.

You may think Online Tickets qare cheaper, but with additional fees, extra hassle & everything else. You will find you arent really saving anything in the long run. Check out the Airlines websites & you will find you will probably be better off overall.

Expedia tickets

AUTHOR: Tamara - (U.S.A.)

This response is in no way meant to diminish the validity of your complaint against Expedia. I just wish to share the positive experiences I've had with Expedia, so consumers may make a fair and valid choice when deciding on a travel agency. I personally have had excellent results purchasing tickets through them. I have been using their service for about 3 years and would highly recommend it to others.

I will say regarding the $14.95 charge, the website makes it very clear during the ordering process that if you receive paper tickets instead of e-tickets you will be charged $14.95 per ticket for shipping & processing.

This is one of those fees that many companies charge now to offset the costs of processing, printing, and mailing each ticket. I can understand why you were not able to order e-tickets because check-in at the airport is very different with e-tickets. The check-in is entirely computerized and is completed by the travelers, no ticket agent is present.

The credit card used to order the tickets is your main source of identification and must be verified through the computerized check-in. If the name on the credit card is different than the name of the main traveler, identification issues arise and so paper tickets are required so a ticket agent may manually verify the identity of the travelers.

So, the amount of time in advance that you ordered the tickets is not at all related to the paper ticket vs. e-ticket option. Again, it is unfortunate that you have had a bad experience with Expedia. I hope everything worked out for you!

..I will not use them again...

AUTHOR: Maryln - ()

I did call Expedia after the paper tickets were received, would you believe they put both tickets in the same envelope & charged for both @ $14.95 each... Expedia would not change their position or give any credit...

My last name is different from my sons, so by using my credit card they would not issue E tickets..

I don't think this is right or fair & will not use them again...

I did check with the travel agents & they could not meet the prices.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Why you were sent paper tickets

AUTHOR: Maggie - ()

As a former travel agent and airline reservationist, I believe you were sent paper tickets because you paid for the flights with your own credit card but the passengers are other persons. This is to protect you and Expedia against fraud. Hypothetically, if you had NOT authorized the travel to your credit card for other travelers, once you get the (surprise!) paper tickets in the mail you can call and dispute the charge with Expedia and your credit card company. If you had gone to a local travel agent you'd probably have to pay a small ticketing fee but I doubt it'd be $14.95 x 4!

An E Ticket is an Electronic Ticket ...

AUTHOR: Michele - ()

Your story doesn't make any sense.

An E Ticket is an Electronic Ticket. Electronic Tickets are purchases over the internet or over the telephone. The only way to pay for an E Ticket is with a credit card.... So ... what are you talking about?? How can you say you could not obtain an E Ticket because you were paying with a credit card? YOU CAN'T GET ONE ANY OTHER WAY!?!?