Complaint Review: Expedia

• Updated: Tue, March 04, 2014

• Reported By: Todd Carter — Knoxville Tennessee
Expedia
333 108th Ave., NE Bellevue, Washington USA

Expedia Not Refundable in BOLD RED letters in the email sent after the order but not on the site Bellevue Washington

*Consumer Comment: Very common case

*Consumer Comment: Amazing....

A dear friend of my wife's passed away suddenly. We had booked a weekend getaway thru Expedia but now could not make the reservation. I went to the email to get info to cancel the reservation and noticed the BIG red letters that said This reservation cannot be cancelled. I did not remember seeing that when I booked it. I called and asked for help and explained the situation and that I only wanted a credit not a refund but was told that it could not be cancelled, i asked for help and asked to speak to a supervisor, after waiting for 24 minutes the supervisor finally came on the phone with the same story. I told him I thought the webpage hid the fact about cancelling, if you look at it you only see it in a small box on the right hand side of the page before you book, mixed in with other text and an add. Not in big bold red letters, easy to pass by and not see. Then on the payment page, again no big red letters. If you happen to notice it, there is a small box at the very bottom, you see the big yellow button and click pay, but if you had noticed it beforehand there is a small line of text that says by clicking you have accepted the rules and restrictions. I went back and after clicking then it brings up a box that tells you what you are about to do in non-refundable. If they were not trying to hide the fact then why did they not have the BIG BOLD RED LETTERS just above the yellow button or in the bullet point box?????? I work with people who design webpages and in know this is by design and not a mistake. I was told the info was there and that they would not refund my $153, which I could not afford to lose. I asked them to please make me a happy customer and just give me a credit, I did want the money back just not to lose it. NO REFUNDS! I will never book anything thru Expedia again and I will tell all my friends, and share it on Facebook and anywhere else i can post it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/04/2014 09:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Expedia/Bellevue-Washington-98004/Expedia-Not-Refundable-in-BOLD-RED-letters-in-the-email-sent-after-the-order-but-not-on-t-1128379. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Expedia

Very common case

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

This is a very common practice for marketing -- emphasize things being sold; whereas, obscure the catch. You will experience this kind of practice everywhere (including TV advertising) if you are going to buy anything especially on the Internet. So I am not surprised hearing your case.

The small print is being used to legally protect the seller. In other words, sellers must disclose whatever terms they are selling but there is no limitation of how to disclose them. As long as the print is presented and readable with naked or regular eye glasses, it is perfectly legal. The print has been successfully used for a long time because MOST people do NOT READ everything they see. Yes, it is a bad practice, but it is perfectly legal!

You said you are involved with webpage design, so you should UNDERSTAND why the small prints are there! When you design something, do you want to make what you do not want people to see obvious? Or do you camouflage the product you are trying to sell? Of course not. So my point is that why are you complaining when you should have known the principle very well? If I were to report this, I would go for tricky/untrusted and/or bad practice rather than a big rip off.

Amazing....

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

- Amazing isn't it.  Not only did you not notice this when you booked...you failed to notice it when they sent the e-mail.  You ONLY noticed it when you...gasp..went back and LOOKED at the e-mail.  Isn't it just amazing what you find when you actually take the time to read it.

- Oh I bet you can see where this is going.

- Because based on your own admission in the beginning..you wouldn't have seen it anyways.

- Wait a minute in the beginning of this "RipOff" you stated you weren't even looking for a refund, only a credit.  So which is it?

- And just what are you going to tell them?  That had you taken the time to actually read what you were agreeing to and giving your Credit Card information over for you wouldn't have agreed to it?  That is what you are saying right, you are saying that had you actually paid attention to these terms you would have ended the transaction and not completed it..right?

Sorry..this is NOT a RipOff

Oh and no I do not now or have never never worked for Expedia or any travel company.