Complaint Review: Experian

• Updated: Tue, May 15, 2012

• Reported By: PB — Chantilly Virginia United States of America
Experian

Experian Experian Charge to Credit Card for free report Internet

My credit union had an advertisement listing Experian as a place to get a free credit report once annually.  I went to the website link and completed the required registration form. The site info indicated that my credit card was only necessary to cover a $1 processing fee. Shortly thereafter I discovered they had charged my card $17.95 for my monthly membership.  My telephone complaint was relayed to someone in the Philippines who was very resistant to cancelling my account.  With the information they have I am very concerned about illegal used of my card. The Philippine rep also said that if I cancelled there might be some impact on my credit score. When I asked her to elaborate on that she put me on hold then came back and ignored my further questions. From what I have seen from other complaints this appears to be Experian's practice to entice people to request a free credit report then automatically sign them up for membership.  This info may have been in some of the fine print or some related document, but it was not at all clear that this was the end result of registering on their site.  Another internet scam. I'm embarrassed that I fell for it. I have complained to my credit union. They will look into it to see how this advertisement was posted. They don't claim to endorse Experian, and will let others know of this practice.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/15/2012 07:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Experian/internet/Experian-Experian-Charge-to-Credit-Card-for-free-report-Internet-883325. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Experian