Complaint Review: Expirian, Equifax, And TransUnion

• Submitted: Sun, December 24, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, December 25, 2006

• Reported By:Plato Missouri
Expirian, Equifax, And TransUnion
econsumer.equifax.com/consumer/sitepage.ehtml?forward=contact_us Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Expirian, Equifax, And TransUnion Credit Reporting Agencies do not follow federal or state laws, RIPOFF Atlanta, Georgia

*Consumer Suggestion: Jeremy, the trick to succesful disputes.

In my younger years I made many bad finacial decisions. I allowed myself to overspend and frequently didn't pay my bills on time.

I never filed for a bankruptcy. Over the last 8 years I have paid my bills on time. Tried to dispute negitive information with the credit reporting agencies and still have a terrible fico score.

I have checked my credit reports almost monthly with all three major agencies. The information is reported twice on a few accounts. Some accounts are past the 7 year statute of limitations and some accounts are just plain wrong.

I had one account show up in dispute finally. The credit agencies allowed the collection agency to renew the debt date.

This particular dept is for a unpaid medical bill. Since I am in the military I do not even pay for medical bills. Tricare pays these for us.

This account has been in dispute since Feb 06. Going on a year now.

In particular TransUnion and Equifax seem to allow some creditors and collection agencies to run the same debt twice on my credit reports.

They also seem to be the ones that like to keep the negitive accounts on my records the longest.

The whole system seems broken to me. I could have just files for bankruptcy years ago and would be fine by now. But since I stayed the course and tried to do the right thing I still have to pay high interest rates for my car loans.

I am trying to purchase a house now and can't. I traded in my old car last month and bought a new one. Now both cars show up on my credit reports lowering my score even more.

I even subscibe to the monthy credit check through expirian. They have no problem showing me links to creditors who work with people with bad credit.

Seems to me like this is a serious conflict of interest.

Thanks for screwing over the little man who defends our country and your right to wring every dime out of blue coller America.

Jeremy
Plato, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/24/2006 07:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Expirian-Equifax-And-TransUnion/Atlanta-Georgia/Expirian-Equifax-And-TransUnion-Credit-Reporting-Agencies-do-not-follow-federal-or-state-227058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Expirian, Equifax, And TransUnion

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Jeremy, the trick to succesful disputes.

AUTHOR: Steve [Not A Lawyer] - (U.S.A.)

Jeremy,

First you should understand that the credit reporting agencies could care less about whether or not you have negative reports on your report. They get paid by the creditors that report the information to them, and the money is the same whether the info is positive or negative.

Here is the issue. Economics. It costs money to handle disputes. This is where the problem comes in for the consumer.

However, there is a way to beat them at their own game, which is spelled out in the FCRA. This provision allows you to demand copies of all correspondence used in the verification process in your dispute. You are entitled to see whatever was used as proof that the item is valid, and also are entitled to names and contact information of anyone who gave verbal information.

BUT, you have to specifically ask for this. And, you have to have proof that you asked for it.

Do this by certified mail, return reciept requested. AND, be sure to put the cerified # on the letter itself, and keep a copy for your records. Now, you have proof as to what you sent, along with who recieved it.

Now, federal law says 30 days prove or remove.

No compliance still? File a lawsuit and get paid, AND get the item removed.

Good luck.