Theresa

• Submitted: Sat, August 01, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, August 01, 2009

• Reported By:CHULA VISTA California
Express Cellular, Inc Or Express Cellular
3030 Plaza Bonita Road National City, California U.S.A.

Express Cellular, Inc Or Express Cellular Phone Upgrades for T-Mobile service for 3 phones, 1 for free phone, 2 for $19.99 if you sign up for 2 years contract, but we were charge for $58.50 sales tax for the retail price of phone $249.00 x2 (for the $19.99) and the $79.99 (free phone). We were told also that we are required to give our old handset back to them along with the sim card and I don't think this is correct. National City California

*Consumer Suggestion: The sales tax is legit

This Express Cellular, Inc or Express Cellular located at the Bonita Mall of National City, CA with agent Armanel D. was very rude when approached about the sales tax inquiry. We were charged for the sales tax on the retail price of the phone instead of the price we have paid for. Total sale price was $39.98 for the 2 phones, plus one phone free and we were charged for $58.50 for the tax on the two phones with no valid explanation or notice/agreement.

When I questioned him, he told me it is a CA law that even if I walk on any electronics store such as Best Buy, and if I have to buy a $2,000.00 TV on sale price from retail price of $4,000.00, I will be taxed for the retail price and not what I paid for. He also took our old 2 handset as he said it is required which I am not sure why or there is such a law of confiscating the old handset also.

I have asked for the manager and he said he does not have one, or he is the assistant manager and before he hanged up the phone he called me a name and uses a foul word. He also mentioned that he has been working there for quite sometime now and did not have any complaint about this at all. I also pre-paid a phone cover of which he said it will be in in 2-3 weeks. We went back to the store and he told me it is not in yet and he will call me back again, but he never, until today, he still doesn't have it and could not issue a refund because it is more than 90 days. I have the paid receipt and don't know where else to go to file a complaint.

Vangie
CHULA VISTA, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/01/2009 01:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Express-Cellular-Inc-Or-Express-Cellular/National-City-California-91950-8009/Express-Cellular-Inc-Or-Express-Cellular-Phone-Upgrades-for-T-Mobile-service-for-3-phones-475581. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Express Cellular, Inc Or Express Cellular

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You do have to pay sales tax on the retail price of the phone in many states.
Check with your state tax dept. However, the TV analogy is false. If you bought a $4000 TV on sale for $2000, you'd pay tax on the 2 grand, not 4.
The retailer does have the right to require you to return your old phone. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

#2 Consumer Suggestion