Complaint Review: Extra Move - Smartway Moving

• Submitted: Sat, August 27, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, August 27, 2005

• Reported By:Westerlo New York
Extra Move - Smartway Moving
286 16th Street Brooklyn, New York U.S.A.

Extra Move aka Smartway Moving Lies, Lies and Lies RIPOFF Brooklyn New York

*Author of original report: Nationwide Relocation Services, FL and Extra Move, Inc. a/k/a Smartway Moving

My story is basically the same as Stacey's. I recently moved back to New York from Florida. I used Nationwide Relocation Services, Inc. as a broker to help me find a carrier (not knowing they were blacklisted), in which they found Extra Move, Inc. a/k/a Smartway Moving. Extra Move, Inc. picked up my belongings on July 20th and said my belongings would be delivered in 5-7 days. My contract with Nationwide said my delivery would be by August 4th.

I did not receive my belongings and therefore proceeded to call and find out when I would be receiving them. I was told by Jacob of Extra Move, Inc. the beginning of next week, then I was told it would be Friday August 12th, then told Sunday or Monday, then told Tuesday, August 23rd then 24th. I was told that a truck had been in for repairs and that he would try to get my belongings to me.

I finally received my belongings on August 25th in which 14 of my items are now missing. My parents received my belongings; they said they drove up in a Budget truck (a rented truck for a moving company with their own name???) I received 3 boxes, a coffee table and a computer chair (with a wheel missing) that didn't belong to me.

I am hoping that my belongings are with the person who I received their belongings and that in some way we can make an exchange of our belongs. I only know of the large items that are missing and those are my mattress and boxspring, an entertainment center, a large black suitcase (with belongings in it) and a small cabinet. That leaves 10 boxes; one of which I know what's in it and that would be my vacuum and microwave. The other 9 boxes, I have no idea what I packed in them.

I called and let Extra Move, Inc. know that I have someone elses belongings and that I am missing quite a few items myself. Jacob said he would try to look. I spoke with the driver of the truck; he said he looked in the warehouse and didn't see any of my belongings. How surprising is this???

I don't think I will ever hire a moving company to do my move, I would rather rent a truck myself and spend the extra money; at least I know I will receive all of my belongings! If anyone has an information on this company and whether or not I will eventually get the rest of my belongings, please let me know.

Cindy
Westerlo, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2005 08:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Extra-Move-Smartway-Moving/Brooklyn-New-York/Extra-Move-aka-Smartway-Moving-Lies-Lies-and-Lies-RIPOFF-Brooklyn-New-York-155242. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Extra Move - Smartway Moving

AUTHOR: Cindy - (U.S.A.)

Just wanted to add that Nationwide Relocation was the broker and are blacklisted. I wish I knew this information before I hired them to hire a carrier (Extra Move, Inc.)then I wouldn't be going through the turmoil that I have been.