Complaint Review: Extra Space storage

• Updated: Thu, February 02, 2012

• Reported By: rosemary — JACKSONVILLE Florida United States of America
Extra Space storage
2100 State Road 7 fort lauderdale, Florida United States of America

Extra Space storage management refuses Broward county court order to release items wrongfully withheld fort lauderdale, Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Go back to Court

*Author of original report: copy of court order

*Consumer Comment: 2 immediate choices

On December 1, 2011 after going to court several different times over the last 6 months, a judge issued me an Order of Replevin for me to obtain my belongings that are being wrongfully withheld by a party other than I at Extra Space Storage.

I am not on the contract for the unit holding my belongings at Extra Space Storage so the manager refused to recognize the court order and release my belongings to me.

The storage manager said the judge had no right to get involved in his business matters that their is an outstanding balance on the unit. He added that if I come on his property he will have me arrested for trespassing.

Officers were dispatched to the property to 'keep the peace' during the discussion with the manager the officers received another call and abruptly left the property leaving us with the manager who soon thereafter closed the business and left the property.

My opinion is that he needs to abide by the court order and release my belongings and then follow up with the person who signed the contract in order to retrieve his money. Any suggestions or legal actions as to what I can do to retrieve my belongings when their is a current court order to release my items.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2011 11:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Extra-Space-storage/fort-lauderdale-Florida-33023/Extra-Space-storage-management-refuses-Broward-county-court-order-to-release-items-wrongf-804428. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Extra Space storage

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Go back to Court

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

The judge's order specifically stated that the property was held at Extra Space, so it's not like you just wandered in looking for your property.

You need to go back to the Court ASAP and request that the constable or sheriff serve the order on Extra Space and recover your property.

My wife briefly worked for Extra Space in California.  Her boss got pissed because the sheriff served a search warrant one evening and my wife had to keep the gates open so the deputies could go in and out.  My wife's boss told her that next time the sheriff serves a search warrant that my wife was supposed to tell them to come back during business hours!  The DM was telling my wife to commit a felony by obstructing justice.  It comes as no surprise that the idiot manager blew off the court order.

Please let us know what happened.

copy of court order

AUTHOR: rosemary - (United States of America)

2 immediate choices

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

You have 2 immediate choices of action.

1.  In many jurisdictions, a city marshal enforces court orders.  I would call your city marshal's office to request assistance to obtain your property.

2.  Contact the court and request the court to find the storage facility to be in contempt.  Most judges do not like their orders being ignored or otherwise not complied with and are all to willing to have someone arrested for contempt of court.  The clerk of the court should be able to assist you to ensure the order is enforced.

Good luck.