Complaint Review: Eyeglass World

• Submitted: Wed, September 17, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, September 17, 2008

• Reported By:Albuquerque New Mexico
Eyeglass World
4200 Wyoming Blvd Albuquerque, New Mexico U.S.A.
  • Phone: 505-294-0955
  • Web:
  • Category: Eye Care

Eyeglass World Overcharges for glasses, then turns account over to collections! Albuquerque New Mexico

I accompanied my son to Eyeglass World so he could buy glasses. The glasses came to $397.84. He made a cash payment of $240.00, and I wrote a check for the balance - $157.84. My check was processed electronically, and handed back to me.

Two days later, I checked my bank account online and realized that they had electronically withdrawn the entire $397.84 from my checking account resulting in an overpayment of $240.00 (the cash payment) so I called the store manager, Chris. He looked up the invoice, agreed there was an overpayment, and said that he couldn't reverse the ACH (electronic payment which was in the wrong amount) He said that a refund would take weeks, he would contact corporate, they would look into it, if they felt it was valid they would issue a check and mail it to me, but corporate had been closed for 2 days due to Tropical Storm Fay. He did agree that if I disputed the $240 at my bank, the account would still be paid in full.

The manager of my bank looked at my receipt and my bank account, easily saw the overpayment, and he launched a dispute for the amount of the overpayment. I thought everything was fine until I began getting calls from a collector. Eyeglass World has $637.84 for a pair of glasses that my receipt says cost $397.84, yet they turned me over to collections? The collector has asked for my bank statements (????), etc, but I believe it's up to Eyeglass World to prove what happened to the $397.84 electronic payment and the $240.00 cash payment, because I can prove they took both payments (part of that was without my permission!), and my receipt from them says the glasses cost $397.84.

At this point, they need to halt the collection efforts - there's nothing to collect, this account is overpaid! And, from that overpayment they helped themselves to, they need to reimburse my bank for $240.00. My bank reimbursed me for the invalid portion of the ACH, so Eyeglass World owes the money to them, not to me.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/17/2008 02:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Eyeglass-World/Albuquerque-New-Mexico-87111/Eyeglass-World-Overcharges-for-glasses-then-turns-account-over-to-collections-Albuquerqu-373885. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Eyeglass World