Complaint Review: FIFTH THIRD BANK, CINCINNATI OHIO

• Updated: Sun, April 04, 2010

• Reported By: Audrey — Indianapolis Indiana United States of America
FIFTH THIRD BANK, CINCINNATI OHIO
Cincinnati, Ohio United States of America

FIFTH THIRD BANK, CINCINNATI OHIO 5/3 Bank Didn't protect me from fraud, multiple overdraft fees, turned me into Check System when I told them I'm declaring banckrupcy and including them in it Cincinnati, Ohio

*Consumer Comment: Always The Bank's Fault, Right?

I have had multiple issues with this bank the 10 years I have been a customer with them.

First one was a while ago. I was given checks I was suspect of as to being fraud. I put the checks in my bank. I called Fifth Thirds Bank to confirm the checks had cleared about 3+ days later. I was told that the checks had cleared. Multiple times I made sure they understood what I was asking, "so the checks are good and I can pull money out of them" etc. And again, they told me the checks were good. Later I found out the checks were not good. I lost $1000 due to their incorrect information. They were going to charge me overdraft, but I told them what they had said to me and they took away the charges, but didn't reimburse me for the $1000 I lost to the scam.

Second one, they closed my savings account without informing me after depleting all of it's funds in charges of below limit fees.

Third, they charged me multiple overdraft fees for one incident where I had paid for an item and deposited the money approximately 40 minutes after the purchase. I called them and e-mailed them stating I wasn't currently employed and couldn't pay their fees. They kept charging me until it reached around $270. I again called them, again informing them of my situation, asking them to stop charging me and asking them to help me out since I was a customer for 10 years and I had deposited enough money just 40 minutes after my purchase. They wouldn't remove the charges. I told them I was declaring bankruptcy and they now had to be added to it.

This incident resulted in over $300 in fees and them reporting me to the Check System and closing my checking account without informing me. Them reporting me to the Check System has made it so I can no longer have a checking or savings account anywhere for the next 5 years. I found this out when my new bank called me to tell me I had to close my checking account with them due to being reported to the Check System.

And all of this because I made a $21.80 purchase before I made the $30 deposit (both after banking hours) because the bank was farther away than the place of my purchase.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/02/2010 11:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FIFTH-THIRD-BANK-CINCINNATI-OHIO/Cincinnati-Ohio-/FIFTH-THIRD-BANK-CINCINNATI-OHIO-53-Bank-Didnt-protect-me-from-fraud-multiple-overdraf-589103. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FIFTH THIRD BANK, CINCINNATI OHIO

Always The Bank's Fault, Right?

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

1.  How is it the fault of the bank if SOMEONE GAVE YOU bad checks?

2.  YOU were apparently NOT keeping written records of YOUR checking account usage.  YOU decided to make a deposit AFTER being overdrafted.  YOU ran up overdraft fees!

Now we're supposed to feel so, so sorry for you because you may go BK because YOU don't know how to manage a checking account and YOU are clueless about the bank's funds availability policy?

Incredible!