Complaint Review: FINGERHUT CREDIT ADVANTAGE - JEFFERSON CAPITAL SYSTEMS

• Submitted: Thu, April 21, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, May 14, 2005

• Reported By:Bristol Virginia
FINGERHUT CREDIT ADVANTAGE - JEFFERSON CAPITAL SYSTEMS
16 MCLELAND RD SAINT CLOUD, Minnesota U.S.A.

FINGERHUT CREDIT ADVANTAGE - JEFFERSON CAPITAL SYSTEMS ripoff RECEIVED CREDIT REPORT THIS COMPANY SAYS I OWE THEM MONEY SAINT CLOUD Minnesota

*Consumer Suggestion: MAKE THEM VALIDATE

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: # phone # is 320-8499

I recently filed to get a credit report because we are wanting to purchase a home. I was shocked when I saw a charge of $422 from this company. The phone # it lists to contact them is disconnected, although it just got put on my credit report on 03/07/2005, for an amount that it says I owed from 12/28/99. I do remember ordering from fingerhut and I also remember paying the entire balance off in March of 1999.

I have no proof, seeing as how it was so many years ago, but how do I dispute it when the phone # they provided is disconnected? I think that this is very bad business, to put something on someones credit report, and to have your phone disconnected less than a month later.

I need help, does anyone know how I can find a number of someone to speak to?

April
Bristol, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2005 01:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FINGERHUT-CREDIT-ADVANTAGE-JEFFERSON-CAPITAL-SYSTEMS/SAINT-CLOUD-Minnesota/FINGERHUT-CREDIT-ADVANTAGE-JEFFERSON-CAPITAL-SYSTEMS-ripoff-RECEIVED-CREDIT-REPORT-THIS-139748. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FINGERHUT CREDIT ADVANTAGE - JEFFERSON CAPITAL SYSTEMS

#1 Consumer Suggestion

MAKE THEM VALIDATE

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

Send them a letter, Certified Mail, return receipt requested, asking them for documentation (such as an original bill from the creditor, something with your signature, etc. A print-out from them is NOT legal validation). It is not your job to prove you don't owe it..it is their job to prove that you do.

If they state the date of activity is 1999, then it is beyond the statute of limitations of 3 years in Virginia on open accounts, but they can report it for up to seven. I went through a similar situation when we were buying our house about a year and a half ago with another junk debt buyer, who put multiple entries on my credit for a Sprint PCS account (never mind that I have NEVER had Sprint). It took a strongly worded letter from our attorney to finally get it removed.

If it takes a letter from an attorney, it will be well worth the money. Trust me, paying Jefferson will not remove it from your credit, although they make promises that it will. Once they have your money, they couldn't care less what happens, and you will end up paying a higher interest rate. Fortunately, we got our situation resolved about a month before closing, so we got a good interest rate.

Been in your situation before..don't let them extort money from you that you don't owe.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds