Complaint Review: FINGERHUT

• Submitted: Tue, February 10, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, February 23, 2009

• Reported By:Westerville Ohio
FINGERHUT
6509 Flying Cloud Drive Eden Prairie, Minnesota U.S.A.

FINGERHUT SCAM - LOST MERCHANDISE I RETURNED AND WONT CREDIT ME AND KEEPS BILLING EVEN AFTER DISPUTE Eden Prairie Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: SEND YOUR RETURNED MERCHANDISE BY REGISTERED MAIL

*Consumer Comment: Just a few observations

*UPDATE Employee: Response to complaint

I returned two rings on November 30, 2008. Late December 2008 I received a collection call. I asked why, I was told only one ring credited. I asked where second ring was, they said not received. I had sent both back in one package. Late fee was credited. I paid by phone WITH a pay by phone fee. An affidavit was sent Dec. 31, 2008 to dispute. January 9 I received with only 3 days to return.

I returned USPS signature required. It was signed according to tracking number January 10, 2009. Late January 2009 I received a phone call saying bill was due. I paid again with a pay by phone fee, and I asked why the ring was still not credited. They said affidavit can take 30 days. Feb 10, 2009 I called and now I am being told they don't have the affidavit (when it has been 30 days), in which I have proof that it was received via the USPS tracking confirmation.

Customer service was rude, told me they would not credit until researched. I said no research now, it has been 30 days and I have fulfilled my end of the bargain. I then asked WHY am I being billed, a 24.9% APR, finance charges and minimum payment due when the Billing Rights Summary on reverse of statement, which is protecting me under the Fair Credit Billing Act states that I do not have to pay the disputed amount.

This is under investigation according to Customer Service, and I stated that this falls under a billing dispute and I should not owe any longer until it is resolved, which is the entire $52.40 balance. They refuse. I asked for Manager, they refused. They said they will refer to billing. This is unfair, it has been past the time allotted by their agreements, I followed my end, and now I am being denied my right under the Fair Credit Billing Act per the Billings Rights Summary on the Fingerhut reverse side of the bill.

I called back and paid by phone to pay the balance to zero. I have requested my account closed. NOW comes the test..FILED a complaint with the BBB AND having PAID it off AND closed it...we'll see what they do. HERE's what I demanded:

I now request that under my formal complaint:1) Fingerhut explain to me why I was not forgiven the payments (prior to paying it off) according to their Billing Rights Summary2) Why I am at fault for an affidavit that I have proof was received they claim they do not have3) A check in the amount of the total of the following (because I have paid the balance in full when I returned merchandise): a) The price of the ring in question (roughly $59) b) The cost of the two pay-by-phone with live rep charges in December and January (I believe they were 4.95 or 6 dollars each) c) The finance charges that were assessed December, January and February d) The pay-by-phone electronic fee of $1 on Feb 10 e) 60*.35cents = $21 for the time on my cell phone to dispute this matter in which I was passed to three people Feb 10 with no resolution, rude service, and breach of the Billing Rights Summary

Zenophoenix
Westerville, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/10/2009 07:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FINGERHUT/Eden-Prairie-Minnesota-55344/FINGERHUT-SCAM-LOST-MERCHANDISE-I-RETURNED-AND-WONT-CREDIT-ME-AND-KEEPS-BILLING-EVEN-AFT-422711. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FINGERHUT

SEND YOUR RETURNED MERCHANDISE BY REGISTERED MAIL

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

IT WILL BE PROOF THAT YOU SENT IT AND WILL STAND UP IN COURT.

SOMEBODY FROM THEIR COMPANY WILL HAVE TO SIGN TO RECEIVE THE MERCHANDISE THAT YOU HAVE SENT BACK TO THEM.

YOU WILL HAVE PROOF.

Just a few observations

AUTHOR: Newfenoix - (U.S.A.)

I started reading these posts about Fingerhut because my ex-wife had an issue with the old company that required me filing a complaint with the AG of Arkansas and eventually filing actual criminal charges (fraud) against the company. I am aware that the old Fingerhut went out of business in 2002. However, I have read some very disturbing posts about the new company.

I have over 15 years experience in business and a degree in the subject. I also have several years of experience as a police officer and did attend law school for two years. Companies go out of business for two main reasons: 1) Mismanagement and 2) Poor customer service. Circuit City just died as a result of both. There is never an excuse for either. I do not know what position that you hold with the company but it seems, from what I have read, that you tend to blame the customer for ALL of their problems with Fingerhut.

Now, I am not naive. I am aware that the customer is WRONG most of the time. But, we as business people MUST work and work hard to keep the customer happy. Even if they are wrong. Sometimes we have to eat a little crow and swallow our pride and make that customer happy. Now as to billing and delivery; I know that people make mistakes but you seem to have way too many problems in that area. Businesses are in business to make money and you make money by keeping old customers and by getting new ones. Every customer that has a bad experience with a company will tell at least 10 people and they will tell 10 and so on and so on. It doesn't take long for the company to develop a bad reputation, even if it isn't deserved.

There is a major list of companies that will not survive the year. In this bad economic climate, the one thing that a company MUST have is GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. Our company has a very simple policy on the subject. Employees will provide good service or they will be terminated. It's that simple. An employee WILL NOT be rude to a customer, PERIOD!!!

Just wanted to share what I saw.

Response to complaint

AUTHOR: Rangebird - (U.S.A.)

First, and foremost, there is missing information in this complaint. Merchandise being returned to Fingerhut must be authorized for return after the 30day trial period. These terms and conditions are posted in all of our catalogs and online at the website under return policy.
If the jewlery that was being returned, was personalized, there would be no credit issued, that policy is also in the return policy in the catalog and online.
If the jewlery was personalized, there would be an exact exchange requested, but that would only be processed within the 30day return time frame criteria. If the items were returned after the 30 day return trial period, as stated in the return policy, the credit posted to the acct may be pro-rated,depending on the condition of the item returned. Shipping and handling that is billed to the account is non-refundable and the account holder is responsible for return postage.
Fingerhut's return instructions are printed on the packing slip that comes with the order, and the instructions advise the customer to have the item insured so that they have proof from the post office as to when the item had been sent back to Fingerhut. Also, the customer would want to be sure to send the product to our returns center in St.Clound Minnesota.
An affidavit is sent when the customer states that it has been more than 3 weeks since returning the item. Once the customer has returned the affidavit,we advise to allow 30 days for an investigation. But, if the customer was unable to provide a reciept this makes it a case of who's right. Affidavits are rarely not credited, unless the customer has been unwilling/unable to provide proof of sending the item back.
The terms and conditions of the account require that the account holder maintain the account payments during any dispute/return/affidavit processes. Also, when the customer opened the account, at the time of the application process of the credit account, the customer agreed to the terms and conditions of the account, including the APR, which is clearly stated on the application and read aloud to the customer if the application is being taken over the phone.
The New Fingerhut works hard to maintain a level of professionalism, but unfortunately some unsavory reps seem to slip through the cracks, just like any other company. If the representative was being harshly treated,or spoken to in a vulgar manner, the chance that this customer would get glowing,smiling service is slim. We may be customer service reps and specialists, but we are not verbal whipping posts. I hope that this issue is resolved, but I can almost guarantee that there will be no reimbursement for phone calls, lost time,etc. etc. This customer chose to open the account and agreed to the terms and condtions, and unfortunately sometimes customers are not ALWAYS right.