Complaint Review: FINGERHUT

• Updated: Thu, January 09, 2014

• Reported By: Sandra — Caldwell Idaho
FINGERHUT
6250 Ridgewood Road Saint Cloud, Minnesota USA

FINGERHUT Philippines Call Center PhilipinesCustRep: I would need you to give me your full SS# on the account in order for me to change the billing address. Saint Cloud Minnesota

Unexceptionable FINGERHUT Customer Service...
Too sad a new customer is treated with no regard to value...
Needed to purchase a GPS product for work and yesterday decided to try ordering from a FINGERHUT catalog I received in the mail. My mom has ordered from them for years so figured I would give it a try this one time. After being approved on their website, with their bank, for credit to purchase the item I filled out the order form and realized the ship to order still showing my old address even though I changed it on the application for credit.

The ONLY option showing I had was to contact customer service.

Once connected to a call center in the Philippines (asked where they were) and explaining my issue he said I would need to give him my full SS# on the account in order for him to change my billing address.
I was very polite and even chuckled saying, "Seriously? I was just approved for online credit by filling out a complete credit application with all my complete up to date personal information including full SS#, three security questions to protect my info...and there is no way I can get my billing address changed unless I give you over the phone my full SS#?" I chuckled again.....

Anyone else out there in cyberland having a problem with this?
...Or is it just me?

" After asking to speak to his supervisor he promptly said his super would just tell me the same thing and then said he would have to cancel the order if I did not provide him with it. He said he had no other way to verify the account! Ofcourse!

And YES! I canceled the order AND the account and followed up with a note to the company via their website sharing this lovely situation.

CUSTOMER SERVICE REPLY;
"Dear _______:
Protecting the security of our new customers accounts is very important to us. The reason the full social security number is required is because an address verification must be done, and approved, to change the address on a new customers account. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.
If you have further questions or concerns, please visitfingerhut.com/customerservice. It's easy to get answers to most of your questions, and you can also submit an issue directly from the website"\...

SERIOUSLY??? Again I am baffled...The customer service representative has no other way to verify my account???
I am concerned with why did I even have to spend 20 minutes setting up my online account with their bank with all my personal info for security if it wasn't important for verification??

Now I have a zillion questions going through my head...Where is credit application information stored?

Who has access to it?...???

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/09/2014 10:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FINGERHUT/Saint-Cloud-Minnesota-56303/FINGERHUT-Philippines-Call-Center-PhilipinesCustRep-I-would-need-you-to-give-me-your-ful-1114205. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FINGERHUT