• Report: #191947

• Submitted: Wed, May 17, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, June 20, 2006

• Reported By:midland Texas
FIRST CONVENIENCE BANK
Superwall Mart, Loop 250 Midland, Texas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 432-262-1850
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

FIRST CONVENIENCE BANK ripoff Midland Texas

*UPDATE Employee: Help with Debit Mastercard issue

*Consumer Suggestion: Some banks do process Debit transactions immediately

*UPDATE Employee: I hate to hear this....

*Consumer Comment: Gerald...

As a new First Convenience customer, i have a mastercard debit card. I was under the impression that a debit card immediately debited your checking or savings account right then, thus removing the float time. Well last month I used my debit card for several purchases, one being 4.00. I also made a 10.00 purchase, and several other small purchases, and I kept close eye on my balance, but i was notified that the 4.00 debit went bad, and the bank charged me 33.00 processing fee. also my other small purchases went isf, and i was charged over 300 in fees. They opted to pay my 10.00 isf, and charged me some 40.00 dollars in fees, I DO NOT HAVE OVERDRAFT, i did not want overdraft, but the bank decided to pay my small returns, which now has me some 318.00 overdraft. I called the bank and discussed this with a supervisor, and I was told thats their policy, whether I elect to have overdraft or not,. i LIVE ON SOCIAL SECURITY AND SSI, as I have cancer, and the customer rep was inconsiderate, and could care less. I was informed that they have a "float time", on debit transactions, as it could take several days to pays the debit card fees. When I asked her isnt the purpose of a debit card is to remove the float, as is in writing a paper check, she just said it was company policy, she cant help me, I paid 37.00 for a 4.00 check, some 43.00 for a 10.00 debit transaction, all totalled, over three hundred,.. I was told a manager rep would call me, but i never heard from the bank again. So I have untimately stopped my direct deposits, I have discussed this matter with several of my relatives that will go to different banks if this matter is not resloved, and I will tell everyone I know of the way this bank treats its customers, and their inconsiderate actions they show.

Gerald
Midland, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/17/2006 11:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FIRST-CONVENIENCE-BANK/Midland-Texas-79703/FIRST-CONVENIENCE-BANK-ripoff-Midland-Texas-191947. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FIRST CONVENIENCE BANK

Help with Debit Mastercard issue

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

First off, I am sorry to hear about your situation, especially being new to the bank.

To clear up your issue with the charges you incurred, let me explain the way it works. When you use your D-MC, a hold for that amount is immediately place on hold(or different amounts depending on the merchant, etc..gas,hotel, and rental cars). If the funds are available at the time the purchase is preauthorized, the bank is contractually obligated to pay those transactions whether or not the accound is in a positive status.

Let's say you made the purchases one day and had the funds, but an unexpected debit comes out and leaves you without the funds to cover it, the MC debits HAVE to be paid and fees will be incurred because of it. Most people have to learn the hard way(I know I did), but it's not anyone's fault.

All banks have the same cards and the same problems. I hope you at least understand a little better and take this into consideration.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Some banks do process Debit transactions immediately

AUTHOR: Jeni - (U.S.A.)

I bank with USAA and everytime I use my debit card as credit- the amount is immediately deducted from my account. They put on there "Pending Debit Card Transaction" and it will stay that way until the merchant actually does push the transaction through. But the point is that the bank makes it a point to immediately deduct that money from your account to try and cut down on the human error factor. Plus USAA never lets me charge something when I don't have enough in my account to cover it. The transaction is DENIED. May be a little embarrassing, but better than being socked with a huge fee for a small purchase. From reading some of the horror stories on this site, it is clear to me that some banks really want to provide a service to the consumer and do everything they can to help - and some are just looking for more money from fees!

I hate to hear this....

AUTHOR: L - (U.S.A.)

I am a bank employee and i hate to hear situations like this. Please talk to a branch manager or a district manager. Customer Service reps. can normally only refund one fee. We are not suppose to refund unless it is bank error, but in a case like yours where it was your first time, then exceptions can be made. Please just skip customer service and go to a branch. If the manager there will not help you, please ask for the district manager.

The way things are paid and the way your debit card works is in your important account disclosures, which i know most people do not read, which might be the case here.

It does not matter credit or debit, the amount is placed on hold, unfortanly with merchants(like gas stations) wanting to hold out a different amount than the amount purchased, the item is ONLY on hold till we recieve a reciept from the merchant telling us exactly how much was spent.

Like I said, I aplogize this was not explained better, nor was the person you talk to very considerate, but try a manager or DM, I feel they can help you!!
Please repost when you get an answer!If you have any other ?s please feel free to ask!!

Gerald...

AUTHOR: Leticia - (U.S.A.)

When you used your debit card, did you put in your pin, or did you use the credit option?

If you did the latter, then the ammount does not come out of your account immediately, it depends on whenever the company you have paid puts in the claim. (And some even add a hold on the account for more that what you charged.)

That is why I will always put in my pin number while using my card, (except for companies that do not have that feature.)

Putting in your pin is the ONLY time that it IS taken out of your account right then.