Complaint Review: FNCB

• Updated: Tue, March 16, 2010

• Reported By: FNCBcustomer — Luzerne Pennsylvania United States of America
FNCB
102 East Drinker Street, Dunmore, Pennsylvania United States of America

FNCB First National Community Bank Ripping off checking account holders, overdraft fees even when there is a cleared positive balance Dunmore, Pennsylvania

Local bank fleeces checking account holder...

I made a deposit on the 8th of March for $1300 and it was cleared and available. My actual bank balance was $1310.  I proceeded over the next few days to make $1136 worth of transactions.  During that time, they automatically took out two $35 withdrawls for insufficient funds for debit card purchases.  This was done while there was a positive balance in the account.  The $70 worth of fees that the bank took out caused a transaction to go into overdraft protection causing another fee of $35.

The bank's explanation:  "When a merchant takes a charge on your debit card, the bank needs to wait for the batch to come through.  When this happens there is a hold on your account and it reduces your available balance."

All well and good, but I still spent less than the single $1300 deposit that I made previously.

It only takes simple addition and subtraction to see that if there is over $1300 in the bank, and I spend $1135 over the next transactions, there still should be money in the bank.  There apparantly is one exception to the rules of math and that is in a bank account at FNCB.  It doesn't matter what the order of withdrawls are, as long as they are after the available balance of over $1300.

The bank could not tell me what merchants were putting holds on my account, but did state that they did not put holds that exceeded the transactions.  Of course, mathematically that is impossible.

I went transaction by transaction over the phone with the people at the bank and asked them to do the math with me.  Although the numbers all work out in my favor, they said that I still owed them over $100 in fees.  Apparently, FNCB uses some sort of subjective mathematics to determine fees on checking accounts.

On top of that, they acted like I had no right to even question them.

I bet you that I am not the only one who is having problems with this bank and its branches located throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Very greedy bank, very unhelpful staff at the main office, and when I asked to speak to the supervisor I was told "I am the supervisor and there is no one else you can speak to."

I wish this bank didn't have my car loan.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/16/2010 08:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FNCB/Dunmore-Pennsylvania-18512/FNCB-First-National-Community-Bank-Ripping-off-checking-account-holders-overdraft-fees-ev-581538. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FNCB