Complaint Review: Family Credit Counseling Corporation

• Submitted: Wed, October 06, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, July 02, 2005

• Reported By:Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Family Credit Counseling Corporation
4850 N. State Rd. 7 Lauderdale Lakes, Florida U.S.A.

Family Credit Counseling Corporation Untruthful business practices. Lauderdale Lakes Florida

*Author of original report: Response Family Credit Counseling is indeed useless

*Consumer Comment: college huh? I used them too and they did fine by me. They mailed me a monthly statement that itemized how my money was used.

*Consumer Suggestion: FCCC Is Not Certified By the NFCC

I used this group to consolidate a few high interest credit cards from my college years into one payment. Upon applying they promised me lower APR's on all of the accounts consolidated, and promised to assist in decreasing my debt. They also stated that since they were a "non-profit" group that the money they collected from me was tax deductible as a charitable contribution.
To date I have yet to receive a reciept for my "contribution" and every time I call I'm told that it's on the way or I get disconnected.
They have done nothing more than make the minimum payments on my credit cards each month and in reality have not decreased my debt any more than I could have done on my own. As a matter of fact, because they are often late in sending payments to the creditors I have accrued late charges, and higher APR's than when I started the account.

This group is not worth your time. They WILL NOT assist you in any way, shape, or form. Avoid them at all cost.

Jason
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2004 06:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Credit-Counseling-Corporation/Lauderdale-Lakes-Florida-33319/Family-Credit-Counseling-Corporation-Untruthful-business-practices-Lauderdale-Lakes-Flori-111678. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Credit Counseling Corporation

Response Family Credit Counseling is indeed useless

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

Family Credit Counseling is indeed useless. I used to send them over $500 a month to pay 4 creditors. They were INDEED consistently late sending out payments, but NEVER late autodebiting the money from my bank. They withdrew every month on the 28th yet creditors often weren't receiving payments until the following 20th, if at all.

I have filed formal criminal complaints against this company and have documentation from creditors than on a total of 17 occaissions they failed to make payments for which they had made withdrawals.

Further, they are REQUIRED by FEDERAL LAW to provide an anual contributions statement to ANYONE who makes a contribution. (I know this factually because I'm an attorney specializing in financial crimes). They have never sent out statements, nor have they made available records of contributions which are also public record (by law) for any non-profit organization.
I have since removed all cards from this service and began paying them on my own.

Mysteriously I have seen an increase in money applied to my accounts of well over 40% using the same method they did.

All this company does is take money out of the pockets of those who are already suffering financially.

I have spoken to 14 other debt consolidation services and NOT ONE of them charge a "set-up fee" and all provide monthly, quarterly, and annual statements including "donation" forms required by tax law for reporting purposes.

Avoid this company and research those you are considering more indepthly. I made the mistake of believing a friend that used this service and still feels she had OK results.

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

On it was a line for "contribution" and it was a document from the company. This is your receipt! It took me a little over 5 years to finish with them and, every year, I added up the amount of my total contribution and wqrote it off my taxes like a donation to a church. What more do you need? If you get audited you should have all your statements as proof. Everyone seems quick to blame these people when all you needed was to use your brain and a calculator and common sense. I have done lots of checking on this stuff and found out its against the law for them to hold up payments. I had some late ones in the beginning but, if they send the money when I supply it, how is it all their fault? I had bills due early in the month when I started with them, but my budget only had room for me to send a payment (I sent money orders) in the middle of the month. They never told me they had a time machine to send payments backwards in time and they certainly couldn't change my budget so I could get my payment in sooner. After they got my accounts all set up on their program, the due dates were not an issue and late payments stopped. I complained in the beginning when I saw those fees since I didn't see what good they were doing me. Once they explained the due date issue I understood. I also realized that, yeah I had to pay a couple hundred in late fees, but this saved me THOUSANDS of dollars in interest. To me, the ends justified the means. Without Family Credit I would still be in swimming in debt today. You're the one who got in debt and some people sound like they don't want to accept any responsibility for their own situation. I accepted mine and was determined and I am debt free today.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

After having my OWN issue with this company (and having filed a Rip-Off Report of my own) I talked with the Customer Service representative at one of my creditors to whom I was in debt. She suggested that before I ever consider a debt counseling agency again that I look them up at the National Foundation for Credit Counseling as the members of this foundation are almost always above board and agencies that creditors will work with. You can find them at http://www.nfcc.org/ and they have a handy look-up module to find their certified agencies in your area. Funny, FCCC isn't on there - anywhere.

I am sorry this happened to you or anyone. I hope you get your debt under control - I KNOW how it is.

#4 Consumer Suggestion