Complaint Review: Family Dollar Store

• Submitted: Tue, July 27, 2004
  • Updated: Mon, November 20, 2006

• Reported By:Des Moines Iowa
Family Dollar Store
www.familydollar.com Des Moines, Iowa U.S.A.

Family Dollar Store Ripoff Management needs to learn the employment laws Des Moines Iowa

*Consumer Comment: Lack of Respect

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Chris check this out!

Recently I went into a Family Dollar Store to do shopping. I am an ex-manager of one of these stores. I was not surprised when I learned that the DM had told the employees that they were not allowed a break of any kind. What happened to the Federal and State employment guidelines? I thought slavery had been abolished but I guess not when it comes to working for Family Dollar.

It is sad that you can work for a company and be treated worse than they used to treat the slaves at least they had food at lunch time. When are the employees supposed to eat and where? They can not be seen eating at the counter or on the store floor while stocking shelves according to their rules. No wonder when you walk into their stores you never see anyone with a happy face or hear the word "Hi how are you today" from anyone. I think that the Human Resource Department had better check the background of these people a little bit better.

Cris
Des Moines, Iowa

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2004 06:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Dollar-Store/Des-Moines-Iowa/Family-Dollar-Store-Ripoff-Management-needs-to-learn-the-employment-laws-Des-Moines-Iowa-100881. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Dollar Store

AUTHOR: Brenda - (U.S.A.)

unfortunley the same thing happened to me also. I was told that Family Dollar does not give breaks.(N.Ridville, Ohio). I have complained to the D.M lets see what happens. Im not sure if this company is a good one to work for it seems there is alot of things going on that not everyone is aware of. Im seriously thinking about giving up my job.

Lack of Respect

AUTHOR: Cris - (U.S.A.)

Dave...

I worked for this company and I know how they work. They treat their employees with very little respect. I was in management when I worked for them. I treated my employees with the respect that they deserved and I was treated with respect back from them. My boss however had no repect for the female managers. So my question is why did he hire them? Why were they paid half of what the male managers made? I did everything by the book and still there was no repect from him for either my employees or myself.

I was so sick at one point that one of my employees called the home office to tell them that I shouldn't be at work because the District Manager at the time would not let me go home. I was bed ridden for three days on doctors orders because I was so exhausted. I never missed anytime from work until that time.

The work conditions at Family Dollar are terrible and something should be done about it. With as many lawsuits that are out there against Family Dollar I am surprised that the Federal and State Labor Board has not done something about this. Maybe someday they will.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Chris check this out!

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

Hi Chris!

The group you need to look up is at [DELETED] Rip-off Report.

[Place your comments below and be sure to include your FULL contact information so Rip-off Report can contact you.]

After searching it out please feel free to sign up right away or even sooner.

Talking about this issues with FDS is very good therapy to be sure...but in working together we have the potential to actually make a difference.

Thanks and be well,